Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Imitation HDR... :)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:27 am 
Hey i don't know if this is the place to put anything like this but i figured with all the other posts about HDR i thought i'd put my cheap imitation up.

This is a picture taken last summer with a point and shoot. I simply darkened and lighten two different copies of the same photo and cut it apart with cheap software and put them together. It's a rough job and i definitely could have done a cleaner job but you get the idea. I kinda like it. What do ya think?

This is the original...kinda boring...

This is the final product...i think it's pretty cool for cheap software. Didn't take me too long and it was kinda fun...makes me think that if i had actual HDR software I'd have a field day with it (and probably fail school). I know i could've done a cleaner job but... ah well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:56 am 
High Dynamic Range is actually taking the dynamic range (5stops or so I believe) from 3 pictures and merge them together.. tha's why you need to have 3 exposures (0, +- 2EV). I don't think that you can make a genuine HDR out of just one picture. I tried from one single RAW file to make HDRs and the results are modest. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:14 am 
HNV wrote:
High Dynamic Range is actually taking the dynamic range (5stops or so I believe) from 3 pictures and merge them together.. tha's why you need to have 3 exposures (0, +- 2EV). I don't think that you can make a genuine HDR out of just one picture. I tried from one single RAW file to make HDRs and the results are modest. :cry:

I beg to differ. Here are some HDR that i have done from a single RAW file

HDR from jpeg:

HDR from jpeg:

Thats quite a good HDR, tho there is some clear noise which is the problem with rendering HDR's from a point and shoot! but nice apart from that the original shot is great! :)

Last edited by alex168 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:15 am 
Well I think you've done quite a good job but the blown out highlights on the water are a bit distracting.

Perhaps there should be a name for HDRs from one image? Faux-HDR anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:39 am 
grahamnp wrote:
Well I think you've done quite a good job but the blown out highlights on the water are a bit distracting.

Perhaps there should be a name for HDRs from one image? Faux-HDR anyone?

how about HDI high dynamic image :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:09 pm 
ya i know it's not HDR...that's why i called it "imitation." I just wanted to bring out more contrast in the water and the sky but it meant that the sky needed to be darkened and everything else needed to be lightened a bit. So I just made two copies of the original and then messed with the basic brightness and contrast shifters... and added obviously added some warm color.

So i haven't done HDR before but it looks like you should be able to do HDR with one shot...because even the most basic software allows you to lighten and darken your pictures which does bring out detail in the underexposed and overexposed areas of the shot.... is that legit?

What's the verdict?... can you do HDR with just one picture and maybe a couple more steps??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:22 pm 
making a HDR picture from 1 raw file you get sensor dynamic range.. so that's about 5 stops..
making a HDR picture from 3 raw files.. (-2, 0, 2 EV)... that would be 9 stops.. and that's what i call HDR :)

for a regular picture, with a bit of effort, you can obtain the same result with photoshop without ever having to use HDR merging..

but that's my point of view.
Cheers,
HNV