Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Illustrator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:57 pm 
I recently download the trial version of Adobe Illustrator so i could combine some photograph with some sketches that i have, but honestly this program doesnt make sense to me so far! Its not like PS at all!

I wondered if anyone knws a site where i can "learn" the basics so to speak, the programs seems to be quite intresting for those intresting in drawing things and then later on playing with them in PS or just on another place, plus it seems to be a very smart software...

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:09 pm 
This one doesn't seem to bad. You might have seen it already, first hit on Google lol.

I was into vector art for a while and tried Illustrator, my initial impression was exactly the same as yours. I tried Microsoft Expression Design and really liked it though. Not as powerful but much easier to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:12 pm 
Hey thanks grahm, i cant understand why they would make the two softwares so diffrent!

makes life complicated! this is going to become a nwe challange

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:49 pm 
....... look here

http://www.layersmagazine.com/category/photoshop/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:30 pm 
Great stuff, thanks Big Pix!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:48 pm 
I use illustrator in school, and it takes some time to learn, but it is really a great program.
And it really isnt ment for creating a full image with lots of different styles, it is really for creating vector things and tracing images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:42 pm 
You could also try Xara Xtreme, it's quite a neat program for vectors.
Then again, so is Inkscape, which is free, although not too fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:07 pm 
Henning91 wrote:
I use illustrator in school, and it takes some time to learn, but it is really a great program.
And it really isnt ment for creating a full image with lots of different styles, it is really for creating vector things and tracing images.

Thats what i want it for, so i can scan my sketches and the later on edit them digitaly! guess i just gotta give it some time!

Thanks BP great link!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:50 am 
Alex, you bring up an interesting topic--the segmentation of graphics functions within software suites! Adobe does it, Corel does it, Stone does it, etc.

Adobe acquired their various apps from different developers years ago and never glommed them together into a cohesive whole. So instead of a single large presidential suite, you have a set of smaller rooms with adjoining doors. You can go from room to room, but it's not the same.

I agree, Illustrator is pretty maddening. I speak as an IT Consultant that runs graphics computer labs in higher ed. Students are not happy using it, and I am not happy showing them how to use it. It mocks your every move, being mostly unintuitive (IMO).

But Illustrator's Live Trace function is great--so is Corel's take on it. If that's all you intend to do, fine. You're done quickly.

Only one application that I know of fully integrates image editing, vector editing and page layout (not to mention web design, presentations, PDF export, etc.): ACD Canvas. (XaraXtreme, which I played with for the first time today, comes close.) Canvas 11 has an Auto Trace function of similar capability.

The bad news is, Canvas has pretty much been left to rot by current owner ACD (of ACDSee fame). They just killed off the Mac version earlier this month. However, I still use it to produce my ezines and web graphics, since doing all those bitmap and vector functions in a single app on the same page tends to spoil you!

Anyway, good luck to you--and please post some of your work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:42 am 
Been working all morning today on creating the logo, or something that looks like a logo i m not 100% satisified with this, the problem is the colouring and such but the fish iteslef and the detail is what i like the most (sketched by hand at first, then tranced in Illustratoir transfered to photoshpo for painting)

Took me about 5h maybe? Crazy long! Would be nice to hear if this would work as a logo or not, i have the PSD files both for AI and PS so i can go back and change everything really! Feedback more then appreciated

Yeah i added the tag on this image i serously dont anyone stelaing it! i m going to kill them if they do :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:28 pm 

Hi Alex,

I like it! Should work well as an Avatar provided you resize it. :!: :shock: :!: :evil: :!: :roll: :!: 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:35 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi Alex,

I like it! Should work well as an Avatar provided you resize it. :!: :shock: :!: :evil: :!: :roll: :!: 8)

Bob.

Maybe i should ise it as an Avatar, what the size limit for those?

Bob, do you think it work as a logo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:21 pm 

Strictly speaking the limit is just 80 x 80 pixels. I probably wouldn't notice if the longest dimension was 100, though. :twisted:

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:50 pm 
Whent for that idea :) thanks Bob!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:10 pm 
Indeed a very nice drawing, i still like to do my line art in photoshop and color it in opencanvas.
Then again i really cant draw :) I'm more of a airbrushing man myself.