Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:17 pm 
Hi,
I'm new to all this... I've just loaded up my first lot of photos and feel ready to get some editing software.
Has anyone done a comparison of Corel Paintshop Pro x2 and Photoshop Elements 6?
What are the main pros and cons of each?
Because I'm new to it I suppose I don't really know yet what features I'll be most into... I won't be into tricksy gimmicky stuff - just into really upping the image quality of what I've shot.
Or has anyone seen reviews comparing both?
Many thanks for any help with this one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:37 pm 
you could download the trials for both programs and look up instruction sites on the net for the two programs then make a decision.....

I have not tried either, but have had a look at instruction sites for Elements 6 and found the program to be very good and easy to use.......

EDIT: have a look here....... http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:48 pm 
I just switched from PSP X2. I was a long time PSP user.
However, there's so much info available out there for for Elements that I felt it was time to make the switch.
Having said that, there's good points to both but I'm kinda preferring Elements now after a very short time of use. especially the precision of the clone brush.
I tried Elemnts 6 before I changed. It's a good way to see how you feel with either program.
Good luck your quest. :D
Taxeye from Canada

Post subject: Editing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:16 pm 
I still use PSP v6 from circa 1998. I sometimes give problem photos to Adobe users to see what they can do, and in every case so far, I've been able to do the same level of correction in PSPv6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:34 am 
I mostly use PSP 7 which I've had for years and it does almost anything I could hope for except for RAW processing, but I can do that in DPP from Canon before opening it in PSP.

I agree with downloading trial software to see what you like and what fits your needs best. Some people (like my Mom with her P&S Kodak) are perfectly happy with just basic editing like redeye correction and a few color filters, while others will desire much more.

There are also some free programs out there if you do a little searching that will do many of the features of very expensive programs. (GIMP for example)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:49 pm 

PSP X2 blows PS elements out of the water and is up there with PS CS3 i have both and am more in PSP X2 it has more adjustment tools for image processing, also the Ultimate version opens all my RAW pictures;)

Canon 5D II, EF 24-105 f4 L IS, EF 16-35 2.8 L, EF 100 2.8 L IS Macro, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, Canon S90, Canon speedLight 580 EX II LowePro Sling Bag 302 AW, Photoshop CS5 Extended, Paint Shop Pro X3.

http://www.pbase.com/spartanwarrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:40 pm 
It crashes when dealing with loads of files though. I've exported some 500 RAW files to JPEG in PSP X2 and it crashed while PSE 7 happily chugs away and converts those files.

YMMV I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:58 pm 

pgtips wrote:
It crashes when dealing with loads of files though. I've exported some 500 RAW files to JPEG in PSP X2 and it crashed while PSE 7 happily chugs away and converts those files.

YMMV I guess.
I have never had any problems with crashes with PSP X2, and it is up there in speed with CS3;)

Canon 5D II, EF 24-105 f4 L IS, EF 16-35 2.8 L, EF 100 2.8 L IS Macro, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, Canon S90, Canon speedLight 580 EX II LowePro Sling Bag 302 AW, Photoshop CS5 Extended, Paint Shop Pro X3.

http://www.pbase.com/spartanwarrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:32 pm 
I'd get Elements. You may fall in love with PP at a later time, and then Phtoshop is the way to go. So better learn the basics now ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:03 pm 
If you can stump up enough cash, Lightroom is very good, and well worth a look, i recommend to download the lightroom and elements trials, and see what you like.....etc
Hope that helped!