Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:02 pm 
Hey all,

Just a quick news bulletin that Adobe has released a beta version of Lightroom 2.
Adobe says you can run this alongside Lightroom 1.* with no problems too which is cool if you want to help beta test.

From Adobe:
Enhancements that can be found in the Lightroom 2.0 beta include the following:

Localized corrections — Enhance specific areas of an image for unsurpassed nondestructive flexibility and control reminiscent of the traditional darkroom dodge and burn experience.
Improved organizational tools — Find the images you need quickly and easily.
Multiple monitor support — Add an additional monitor to efficiently manage photographic workflow and presentation.
Flexible print package functionality — Create custom layouts containing multiple sizes of a photograph on a single page.
64-bit support — Lightroom 2.0 now takes advantage of the latest hardware architectures with improved memory handling and performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:20 pm 

Nice find!
So it's upgrade/paytime for everybody? Or will Adobe allow upgrade from 1.4x to 2.0 for free??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:34 pm 
Excellent. Downloading!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:36 pm 
How is lightroom compared to photoshop? are the any diffrence is it harder or easy to use or what le deal? can some one plz tell, should i get lightroomf if i already have cs3 or is not worth it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:41 pm 

LR's best features are it's organisational capabilities and it's easy integration with Photoshop. That's about it.

LR 2 does look interesting though. I think LR's biggest flaw is it's inability to allow localized editing, that would appear to be fixed now. I'll download and see what gives.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:23 am 
Thomas wrote:
Nice find!
So it's upgrade/paytime for everybody? Or will Adobe allow upgrade from 1.4x to 2.0 for free??

Is it likely? I really hope so, Lightroom ain't cheap.

Downloading now, thanks for posting this Jim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:59 am 
I agree about the cost for upgrade question. My gut says it will be a $99 upgrade, but maybe it will be free for existing users? It is worth it for me. Lightroom has really helped me organize my photographic life and get into understanding the finer details of what a RAW file is and what it means to 'develop it'. It looks like there are going to be a lot of new features. I was just reading this article on CNET about Lightroom 2 and it sheds a bit more light on the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:46 am 
Free upgrade with adobe? nope honestly dont think so, they will cash out the last penny that they can get.

I m going to download this beta version and check it out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:46 pm 

I suspect this will be a paid for upgrade similar to Aperture 2. Having moved to an iMac I'm goiong to stick with Lightroom 1.3 until v2 is out then try v2 against the current Aperture to see which I prefer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:48 pm 
alex168 wrote:
How is lightroom compared to photoshop? are the any diffrence is it harder or easy to use or what le deal? can some one plz tell, should i get lightroomf if i already have cs3 or is not worth it?

Lightroom and Photoshop are pretty much completely different types of application. There's nothing you can do, image editing wise, in Lightroom that you couldn't do in Photoshop. However, it could be said that editing images in Lightroom is a far quicker process than in Photoshop. Lightroom has image management and organisation tools. Photoshop doesn't have anything close to Lightrooms organisation tools.

If you have and know Photoshop well, and don't need the image organisation tools or the quick image editing workflow options, then stick with Photoshop. I use both, but for completely separate things. Anything photography-wise, I do in Lightroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:39 pm 
what is new with V2 of lightroom?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:23 pm 

It's supposed to have some local editing facilities. If it does then it might just have some use as an editor. If not, I'll stick with Photoshop and ACDSee.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head