Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:03 am 

Here'a new idea folks.

I'm linking to an image below that, if processed properly, might just turn out to be a keeper. It's a full-size JPEG converted from a NEF (RAW) file shot today on my camera (sig). As I have been unable (so far) to upload a RAW file this'll have to do. There were no in-camera settings retained, other than White Balance and colourspace (AdobeRGB).

Use whatever software you want to. The only stipulation I'm making is that the original image should not be corrupted in any way which might break forum guidelines. Common decency applies, there are minors here. Oh, one more rule, any subsequent posts of edited images must follow forum guidelines and be no larger than 500px wide.

Please go at it. Have fun. The guys who are good at this might like to share some tips and those - like me - who aren't so acomplished might like to ask questions about specific techniques and/or effects.

Above all, enjoy.

Here's the first of (hopefully) many -

http://www.pbase.com/gordon_b/image/94927115

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:13 am 
What an excellent shot "as is"!

I think you're talented to get a pic like that in the first place. Looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

Edit: p.s. great idea and generous to share too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:45 am 

z. you coulda posted one that needed fixing...but noooooooooooo. You post a beauty...I am gonna wait for an expert..like Big Pix, to make the subtle changes...and I bet Roy could spiff it up with that HD. It will be fun watching photoj take his expert hand at it, and alex you do good at this too...I am gonna sit back and watch..got my popcorn, let the games begin...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:05 am 
What's wrong with it?!?! :D

I kinda like this whole idea you've come up with, I was a bit disappointed when your earlier post didn't seem to generate much interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:46 am 
Here's my attempt:

Flickr is displaying the colours weirdly, it's supposed to be more reddish but I kinda like it this way too.

Zorro, don't hesitate to let me know if you feel that I've "violated" your image in any way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:55 am 

Nice one Graham. We'll need to get rid of that dust though.

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:57 am 
Thanks Zorro. I didn't realise it was dust lol, I had assumed they were just perfectly shaped gaps in the clouds but now that you mention it.....back to PS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:33 am 
Here is my go at it!

Nice edit grah, but i took a lill wilder direction. I can see the red in ur shot, how did u managed to get that rainbow so nice and intense my rainbow kinda faded out so i went for a more full blow out crazy storm coming in!

EDIT: after uploading it to the web there is just too much noise in the images, its ticking me of :D in my copmuter it appears really nice smooth..hmm

How did u edit yours grah? What i did was to adjust some colours (selective colouing) to make the grass go green :D i love green grass! and then i played with some sharpening tools to enhance the clouds a bit more and thats pretty much it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:41 am 
Have a go at this one! There is nothing really that i could do with it, and if nothing happens to it its going to the bin, just try your best :D would be intresting what you can do with it. I tried too many times and failed! so i m giving it a shot to you guys!

http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 001ho4.jpg

Its an NEF file that has been converted to a jpg

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:57 am 

alex168 wrote:
Have a go at this one! There is nothing really that i could do with it, and if nothing happens to it its going to the bin, just try your best :D would be intresting what you can do with it. I tried too many times and failed! so i m giving it a shot to you guys!

http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 001ho4.jpg

Its an NEF file that has been converted to a jpg

Cheers

There's nothing wrong with that shot as it is. If that's straight out of the camera then you're a far better photographer than you think, lol.

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:59 am 
Straight of the camera! I kinda though this was a post processing thread :P so i posted that image for people to have a go at the post processing!

Thanx Z, that means alot! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:36 pm 

Just for reference, see that "shadow" at the foot of the rainbow? Looks like the photographer (me)? Well it isn't. It's actually just the way the ground lay. Quite bizarre when I first saw it. I of course took loads of pictures of the rainbow, from various places. The "shadow" is always there, no matter where I'm standing. Of course, it could be a ghost, lol.

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:50 pm 
alex168 wrote:
Nice edit grah, but i took a lill wilder direction. I can see the red in ur shot, how did u managed to get that rainbow so nice and intense my rainbow kinda faded out so i went for a more full blow out crazy storm coming in!

My first step was to create a HDR(two actually) so that's how I got the colours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:55 pm 
Ohh i see now your little secret ;) ended up beeing very nice tho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:10 pm 
OK, here's my attempt. Just a few subtle changes:

Made a levels adjustment and then used the Lucisart plugin to bring out detail in the clouds. Used the 55mm plugin to add a bit of colour through filters...oh...and then I added Loch Lomond :)