Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My first attempt at HDR!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:48 pm 

Finaly imangeded to get a few shots that actualy loook HDR!

here they come, they are not so sharp shots, getting the camera in the same postion every time was hard doing it hand held! Feedback and comments are more then welcome!

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:14 pm 

I don't like the edges of trees on the first one...the second is really nice though ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:15 pm 

Guillaume wrote:
I don't like the edges of trees on the first one...the second is really nice though ;)

well to point out i was debating that with myself, i could smooth it out but it didnt give that "BOOM IN UR FACE" HDR effect that i wanted it to be, so i whent with it on the 1st one but not on the second one

its possible to take HDR with the D40x i m glad i manadged :D

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:28 am 

Ed, i got some time this morning so i was trying out your method, really good method if i m going to be honest. Because with this method i dont have to worry about misplacing the camera when taking those 3 shots due to the manual EV setting that i have.

So took some old photos of mine that i though i could use as HDR and there are the results

Barajas Airport, Madrid:
Okay after looking at this image i wasnt happy at all with it so i changed everything gave it a more brighter look, that airport is really brigh and the wood colors match the yellow really well, so this is a more realistic view of it!

Boat Wreck, found this in the forest
I m not really happe about this one to be honest, its came out looking to a grey! But the wood in the back of th boat looks really nice. The problem with HDR that i have realised untill now is that its very hard to maintian a "natural" sky, i was actualy thinking of doing some PS on them putting the "normal" sky from the actual image but i was in a hurry so maybe to night i will do that

The Train Station again, this time its been croped and straightened

All of these were created from JPEG files so they look diffrent from the ones i previously did, i m going to play aroud with HDR these days because i m without a lens so i might as well do someting worthwhile to kill time :D

Thanks Ed for teaching me this!

Cheers

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:13 pm 

Glad to see the fruits from my advice. Your photo from Barajas Airport, Madrid is fantastic. The lines from the architecture have been brought out so well. Not sure about the second photo - again if it's on your Flickr, I'll see what advice I can come up for you on that one. The straightened hut does look much better, though the crop is seems to be too tight around it. I would like to see more sky in your original rather than the grass.

And about skies - you can always correct your photo before processing it for HDR. Try the gradient technique I showed in Quentin's mountain post here.

I'm impressed with what you've taken on-board.

http://www.edtangphotography.com
http://journeysintophotography.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:42 pm 

Honestly the barajas airport is just amazing (at least new terminal) i m a big fan of architecture and i love a nice design! Well on the second one i m not really sure as well, but i tried it out and though i just might share the outcome!

Some how i seem to be doing really tigh crops, this isnt the first time you mention it, i was wondering whats the technique behind cropping? is there a certian way to do it the right way?

What do you think of the barajas airport/boat compostion wise? i m perosanly a bit unsure on the boat images but i m very pleased about the compostion of the barajas shot, there was no cropping there what so ever. This was a shoot i took when i was waiting for a transfer flight from Malga>Madrid>Copenhagen and i it was after 1 month or so since i got the camera.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:48 pm 

What software do you use for generating HDR images? I know Photoshop can do it but I've never experimented with so not sure how well Photoshop can handle it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:36 pm 

I used Photomatix Pro, in the first post that i made all those images r created from 3 RAW files, with EV of -1,0,+1

while the second post the HDR was created using JPEG file doing it the Photoj way...check his walkthrough here

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:21 pm 

Ah nice, I'll go look for that software. I think, from the HDR images I've seen, they work better for cityscapes and urban images than for landscapes but I'm welcome to be proven wrong :) I just think they look more effective with stronger, brighter colours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:32 pm 

Well you'd be suprise how many colours there are in nature, i think you think HDR works for city enviroments better because that is what people tend to do with HDRs, but i dont like to do what every one ellse is doing so i bust into landscapes and nature. And that is pretty much all i got aroun where i live so no choice really :D

My Flickr