Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Light Room
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:05 pm 

Hey guys i just got Adobe Lightroom and theres something wierd that happens. When i put my photos on there all the ones that were in black and white change to color. And when i go back to my original raw of the picture its in B&W and then on Adobe its in color and its the right colors too. How does it do this. I suppose my camera take 1 picture in color and then changes it into black and white in camera. But really both things are still there. Im actually quite thankful this happened because i had some good shots that i said hmm.. this would look better in color and what do you know now there in color! Im just wondering why this happens.. here i'll show you some screenshots.

Now heres me in light room and im in Color...

^wups ignore my AIM and itunes and look theres the weather lol.
Heres me in zoombrowser the original RAW...

Vivtar 2800
My flickr
~Dan Nelson~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:40 pm 

If your shooting in raw, from what i've read your image is by DEFAULT black and white, it stores all the pixels, and color information is stored separately, and added back in during post processing.

There's an episode of Pixel Perfect, Pixel Perfect- Camera Raw where Bert Monroy talks to camera expert Jeff Schewe.

Lightroom is an excellent program by the way. I don't use it enough because I don't have a lot of memory. Whats cool, is it saves every modification you make and you can always revert back. If you take a look at the Pixel Perfect Webpage there are also some episodes about lightroom (episodes 63/64 maybe?)

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:25 pm 

JakeOConnell wrote:
If your shooting in raw, from what i've read your image is by DEFAULT black and white, it stores all the pixels, and color information is stored separately, and added back in during post processing.

There's an episode of Pixel Perfect, Pixel Perfect- Camera Raw where Bert Monroy talks to camera expert Jeff Schewe.

Lightroom is an excellent program by the way. I don't use it enough because I don't have a lot of memory. Whats cool, is it saves every modification you make and you can always revert back. If you take a look at the Pixel Perfect Webpage there are also some episodes about lightroom (episodes 63/64 maybe?)

Jake

Yeah but i have color raws too....

Vivtar 2800
My flickr
~Dan Nelson~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:55 pm 

Look at my thread there, emp93. It totally explains what's wrong with the display of NEFs in Lightroom. Only way around this is to store jpgs too, as LR can not display the NEFs including their development settings.
That means that you must shoot in RAW+jpg (!) though, or you go the other route and "develop" your RAWs completely in LR. There is also a setting in the "develop"-module, called "grayscale". And b&w is just a development setting from the original full-color capture.

But anyway: all jpeg-influencing settings of your camera will be lost from the NEF in LR :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:56 pm 

[off-topic]
EMP3, if you don't mind me asking your signature says "Sold my 400D/XtI getting a 30D pretty soon" why the 30d rather thank the 40d? for litteraly 150 or so dollars more so figure like a more month of working and you could get the 40d.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:21 pm 

JakeOConnell wrote:
[off-topic]
EMP3, if you don't mind me asking your signature says "Sold my 400D/XtI getting a 30D pretty soon" why the 30d rather thank the 40d? for litteraly 150 or so dollars more so figure like a more month of working and you could get the 40d.

For future reference everyone can just call me emp and also Its actually not just 150 dollars more.. the 30D with kit is about 850 the 40d with kit is like 1300 and i really cant afford that... and i havnt made up my mind yet between the 30d and D80 it might sway when i go the shops and hold both together. We will see.

And i'll take a look at that thread Thomas and i saw the grayscale thing. I really really love lightroom its an amazing program and i dont mind converting my shots to grayscale.. but i do love light room its a great program. Is there anyway to upload from your camera direct into lightroom?

Vivtar 2800
My flickr
~Dan Nelson~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:42 pm 

Normally an upload-dialog should appear when you connect the camera, giving you some options to rename and tag the new photos.
Very easy, emp!