Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:06 pm 

I just discovered the CaptureNX SW from Nikon with my new camera. Although you could also edit any jpeg with this SW!
It's around 100Euro and has some very special (and in my opinion desirable) features:
1. It does not alter the original picture, but adds the processing steps in the picture file!
2. If you have saved the pic (in Nikon RAW-format) you can backtrack on each and every processing step, eliminating one, altering the other!
3. You can place selectors on certain points of your pic and CaptureNX automatically builds it's own mask accordingly, so that any changes on contrast, hue, etc. only influence the masked section of your pic. This is super easy and has to be seen to be believed!
4. If you're a Nikon user and shoot RAW, you can do all camera-based post processing (such as D-lighting) in CaptureNX. So you never bother about any of those adjustments (apart from aperture and shutter) when shooting, you just select the best post processing from the privacy of your home computer!

Admittedly the SW needs a good computer, because every processing step is done in real time. But this is really a marvellous piece of SW!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:22 pm 

Nikon have just announced an update to Capture NX bringing the software up to version 1.2

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/ni ... p_faqid=61

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:42 pm 

Thanks for the heads-up. But, hmmm: my Nikon Message Center says: "No updates available at this time"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:07 pm 

That always happens with the Message Centre. Ignore it. Better still, disable it. I expect you probably have the European version which has it's own problems. I use the North American version. Try the North American download.

The only real enhancement I can see from a limited play is faster image saving. The interface is still the buggy mess it's always been.

When I got my D80, although I was aware of the fact, it still annoyed me that Capture NX was not bundled with it. When I finally sourced a copy I was even more amazed they weren't giving it away for free, lol. Absolutely lousy UI, very poor documentation and slow, slow, slow.

Zorro.

Post subject: CaptureNX
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:18 pm 

Just to give you the heads-up:
Version 1.3.2 (for Windows) is just loading on my computer after I had some random terminations with 14bit RAW-files from my D300 :?
Hope everything will be ok after the update...
----------
Just wondering whether the hick-up depends on the new firm-ware of the camera?! Because I already had successfully loaded D300 RAWs from the Nikon-Expo in Cologne.

Post subject: Re: CaptureNX
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:10 pm 
Thomas wrote:
Just to give you the heads-up:
Version 1.3.2 (for Windows) is just loading on my computer after I had some random terminations with 14bit RAW-files from my D300 :?
Hope everything will be ok after the update...
----------
Just wondering whether the hick-up depends on the new firm-ware of the camera?! Because I already had successfully loaded D300 RAWs from the Nikon-Expo in Cologne.

I did mine yesterday and yet to have a play........ I am using my D300 at 12 bit, and getting great colour prints at 3ft x 2ft....... might do some frames today at 14 bit, if I get out

EDIT: I have read on other forums that the speed of use has improved with this update........ I will be checking this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:55 am 
**EDIT** Just found there is an even later version to update to. You'd think that it would update to the latest automatically!!...and why ship an old version with a new camera in the first place? Guess they have a load of old disks to get rid of!

Original Message
When I first bought my D80 I only got the trial version of Capture NX so I didn't bother with it and have since always pretty much used Photoshop for all post processing. When I bought the D300, I got the full version of Capture NX with it, which they should give away with all their DSLRs by the way!!...and so now I am going to give it a go.

People who use Capture NX seem to rave about it and to my mind, now that I'm taking pics with the D300, I really want to be using the best software suited for the camera.

Anyway, I have run into a problem straight away :( I installed the software without a hitch and I can open old RAW images that were taken with my D80, but when I try to open RAW images from the D300 it says "can not load file" Has anyone come across this before?

I have version 1.3 and then after I installed it I downloaded the latest version...although it still says v1.3 after I closed it and reopened it. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:40 am 

The load-screen still shows 1.3. You have to go to the menu help>About...: There you should see 1.3.2
Everything works fine here with the combination 1.3.2 plus D300...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:48 am 
Thanks Thomas, it's Ok here too now. Not sure why the first update didn't quite take though. The 2nd time I did it, it worked.

Now I just have to learn how to use the software :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:20 am 
Thomas wrote:
The load-screen still shows 1.3. You have to go to the menu help>About...: There you should see 1.3.2
Everything works fine here with the combination 1.3.2 plus D300...

....... I am getting 1.3.3...... on a mac, go figure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:05 pm 

Anything good happen in the update from 1.3 to 1.3.2?

I mentioned elsewhere about control points being an option now in Photoshop via the Nik Viveza plug-in. I absolutely love the implementation in Photoshop.

Zorro 8)