Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: HDR questions?!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:42 am 
Hello everyone, i thought this was the most appropiate section to put and ask my questions

Now to the question:

1, I have a Nikon d40x and sure the lill baby is great! I m really disapointed that it doesnt have the Automated External Defibrillator (AED). Is it only me or is this a great disadvantage to take HDR phots, for exampel if you want to take an image where there is servarl things moving, its quite hard to manualy change the expsure in less that 3 seconds for those 3-5 pix? If so how do u do it the fast way? (if that makes any sesnse)

2, Is it possible to somehow install teh AED function into the camera?

3, Thanx for the heads up! i been reading around in this forum n decided to join seems like a great place!

i would love for those who r trying to do HDR with thier D40x to reply!

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:24 am 
Hi Alex,

I think you mean Auto Exposure Bracketing(AEB)? If you want to create a HDR image out of a moving subject I think the only way is to shoo the image in RAW and lower and increase the exposure in post-processing although the end-result will not be as good as doing it the "proper" way. You can do it in JPEG as well but the quality will be lowered even further still.

If I'm not wrong, RAW retains more shadow and highlight detail, both of which will be beneficial if you plan to create the HDR from one image.

Unfortunately, there is no way to install the function on the D40x. I'm sure Nikon could do it with a firmware update but I very much doubt that it would ever happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:05 am 
Hey Grahamnp, tha for the quick reply

Yeah i ment AEB, i always get confused with both of them?

yeah i been shooting the pictures in RAW but i'm not quite satsfied with the results.

how would i lower/increase the exposure in the post-process? would that be using photoshop? cuz i m used to the old school photoshop 7.0, might be good to get the new one tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:47 am 

Hi folks,

Interesting thread developing but as HDR has been discussed extensively over at the Imaging Software forum I'll move it there. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:08 pm 
Nah, you don't need CS2 if adjusting the exposure is all you're after. I'm using CS2 and I'm not sure how PS 7.0 is different but I go to Image-> Adjustments - > Brightness/Contrast. I don't know if 7.0 can merge to HDR, but I use Photomatix rather than CS2 for that anyway.

I'm still new to HDR. You might want to ask Zorro or ChinaMark more about this. Mark has written a tutorial here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:19 pm 
Levels or curves are a better option as brightness/contrast is too destructive........ you will have more control with the first 2 options

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:15 pm 
Those exact same setting are still on PS 7.0 :D lucky me! I will give it a shot try to see if its better or worse considering the time it take for me to change the actual exposure on the camera itself. Kinda regret getting the D40x, but what are you going to do, this was my first camera and i am just getting myself into this world

yeah when it comes to merging the images to "HDR" so to speak i also use Photomatix, because i been looking at some tutorials on how to do it on CS2 and it just seems soo complicated, when Photomatix just does it in basicly a few clicks!

I looked at ChinaMark tutorial and i though it was great, been looking over alot of HDR tutorials latly to get to knw the function the best way i can.

Pix, when you speak of thses levles or curves what do are you specifily refering to?

p.s was just playing around by chaning the brightness of images that i previously took in jpg. format and they look like trash as soon as you start to play around. Guess its time to start shooting in RAW.