Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: AfterShot Pro by: Corel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:03 pm 

I just got this only a yesterday but I've found that's about the same as a few weeks for the less app-aggressive users out there. :p
Man, have you guys used this yet? Drop the poorly-written slow-as-molasses LightRoom and put aside CaptureOne for awhile and give this a try!
It's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux so you're afforded a bit of platform freedom with it. There's a trial version available on the home site here.

The Corel site starts off the introductory blurb with "Corel® AfterShot™ Pro is a fast..." and as these kinds of blurbs typically go they're drastically
understating the case. Running AfterShot Pro on my ancient 2006 MacPro1,1 (w/32GB RAM, and 8-cores of x5355 Xeon at 2.67GHz & GTX570) acts much
faster than LR on my liquid-cooled 16-core 4+ GHz Boxx 8980 XTREME with dual Tesla cards and 32GB RAM!

All the usual raw processing tools plus some unexpected goodies are presented in a pretty slick highly customizable, gooey (GUI):

It's of course all non-destructive. The last 4 or 5 revision releases have offered OpenCL support as you can see from the image above. Totally sweet!
It has layer masks for selective editing and processing. Layer brushing can be as accurate as 2 pixels and selection areas are sub-pixel accurate. It has
options for independent layers which allow opacity and unique selection spline sets and/or brush strokes per layer. The selection splines can be edited
at any time during editing or after saving the files out. I guess the spline data is saved in either of it's two kinds of XMP sidecar files. It sports a plug-in
architecture but I haven't looked yet to see what APIs it's using nor if the plugs are compatible with those from/for other apps. Mine came with a souped
up version of NoiseNinja and B&W processor with selective color capabilities.

It supports catalogs which I personally dislike, and also OS hierarchal folder structures of your own devise - which is what I prefer. It uses just two
user definable folders for all of its cache, work, proofs, previews, and profiles so it won't make a mess of things either. The review-and-select tools
are similar to all other good PP apps I've tried so finding, sorting, and tagging stuff is done in the usual ways. Basically if you already know LR, CP1,
or Aperture, there's no learning curve to deal with - just a HUGE speed increase and who doesn't want that? :D It has some nice output features
but nothing others don't have IIRC. PDF files, Proof (Contact) Sheets, and so on. It also has a slide-show feature but it's fairly simplistic with just
interval, border offsets, and so on as available options. No fancy wipes or anything but this is a RAW processor so I'm not sure how fitting something
like wipes or etceteras, would be. It's got Versioning, Stacking, Keywording, Tagging, and Star Rating to help with progressive edit revisions and so
forth. And the various tool pallets can be docked and floated for us multi-monitor users. ;)

My little old MP1,1 with GTX570 can select, apply many many adjustments, and display GH2 RAW files in 0.27s or 3 FPS depending how you look at it.
Processing, converting, and saving one raw-to-jpeg image at a time occurs in about 0.8 seconds with every slider and adjustment set to something
other than the as-shot defaults. Batch processing 100 such 16mpx GH2 raw files took considerably less time with an average 0.63 seconds for each.
That's fast in the extreme - given the machine spec!

So give this a try. DL the trial version, walk through all the preferences to optimize it for your particular system, then try out all the features, and
come back here and tell us what you thought - good or bad. I have a feeling some here will be typing CASP or ASP in their posts more often than LR
from now on. Me, I'm uninstalling LR all together - that's for sure! ;) They've put together quite a system with hordes of free plug-ins and a fairly
energetic community.

Right now Amazon has it for sale for $14.99 as a download. But you can only take advantage of the deal if you're either in the USA or are using
something like a Tor network which makes you location independent. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:21 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cawRajAxuC4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:22 pm 

First of all, I don't want to steal this thread or so, but...

I tried to use for few photos but it works like pain in the stomach. First of all - i use 64 bit Linux Mint, with core i5 2,53 GHz and 4 Gig ram, with SSD (SanDisk 128GB whatever). Pretty solid configuration i would say so. Also, the fastest thing i can use, and i used lighroom on much slower configuration.

So first of all, i was amazed instalation in linux was not painful at all, everything worked great and installed properly. Second, i connected my laptop to bigger screen, to use corel there, maximized and - it came back to my laptop screen! It cannot maximize in any other than default monitor! Oh my lord...

So updated few photos with bits and touches, eveything works fine until key core in (i believe) eveyone workflow - white balance presets works only on RAW files, and i cannot put watermark in my photos, it freezes a lot when applying noise removal or sharpening (It simply cannot wait some time to let you set something, instead if you drag a pulling thingey lets say from 60 to 30, it seems it works through every number in between! And best of all - photos don't look the same when you export them, i was expecting high amount of grain due to noise reduction - but after export, it is all gone (Which is good in this case, but hey, i want to see how my images will look before i export them!)

How is this supposed to compete with something when even Picasa can do at least basic text watermark? So question is - is anyone using this, and if - how can you do some work with this?

Positive sides are - you can copy whatever have you done from one photo to other one, exposure touches works really great, and filtering selected images is great thing to have. UI needs a bit of polish (although it is surprisingly easy to learn and use), color corrections are good.

Negative ones -
does not know multi monitor workflow, watermarks, white balance presets in jpeg files, performance often drops below acceptable level ( but system as whole was usable, so i blame it to program itself)

Canon AT-1, 50mm FD F1.8
Canon A430,