Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cropping and Photoshop
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:23 pm 
Good day everyone!

Forgive me if this question goes not come across as clearly as I want it to.

I was messing around with my 60D last night and decided to shoot some shots of the moon with my 300mm.

Now obviously, there was a lot of black sky surrounding the moon so my question is, what is the best way in Photoshop to remove the sky?

If I crop and then upsize the image, then I assume I am going to lose detail?

I understand that if you crop, you lose PPI, so I suppose I am just trying to figure out how to crop an image but keep the image quality in tact.

I imagine many of you edit your photos for print.

Yikes there is a lot to learn...should have taken Photography in school, lol.

Thanks as always, enjoy your day everyone!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:31 pm 

Hi dieselpowered,

If you crop all you do is throw away unwanted pixels. The wanted pixels, the Moon in this case, are unaltered. Of course if you then magnify the wanted portion, either on screen or on paper, you can't display detail that was never there.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:45 pm 

When cropping a picture, think of it as printing out the original picture, then cutting it down with some scissors, that's about what you're doing.

After the crop, some software will let you upscale the picture, and depending on the algorithms, it is not entirely possible to improve the cropped photo (also works with uncropped photos), but you can't take a picture with a 300mm lens and crop it + upscale it and expect it to look like the same picture taken from a 800mm lens originally. You might be able to pass it off as a 400mm though, and at least get rid of the distracting elements :)