Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Editing Programs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:38 pm 

I've been a film guy forever.....about 30 years :shock: and have just stepped into the digital world with the D40x.

I'm using Picassa right now for editing and I like it. Picture Project is good but Picassa is easier for me to get around in. Just wondering if I'm missing something with Picassa or is there another program out there recomended for novices like me.

Thanks to you all at Camera Labs for the info. you provide, Gordans video tours are wonderfull.

C&C always welcome
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:39 pm 

Hello jka, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
Sorry I don't use Picture Project nor Picasa. But I've moved your post to the right section (software). The chance to get a competent reply there is much higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am 

Hi there. Welcome to Camera Labs. Sadly like Thomas I don't use either of those programs. However, I've used just about everything else at one point or another.

It kinda depends what your priorities are. IMO none of the software titles do everything well. Some people like Lightroom, it certainly has some good points in it's favour. ACDSee is good too, particularly for catalogueing purposes (it only allows relatively minor editing). I use it and love it. If you're really looking at editing software then you can't really go past Photoshop. Sure it's not exactly easy to get to grips with, the learning curve is very steep, imo. It is the industry standard however. It's easy to find tutorials on-line and I bet you're local college or community centre runs classes in Photoshop. There are other programs of course, all claiming to be as good (or better) than Photoshop. They're not. Of course the biggest issue with PS is cost. The asking price is absolutely incredible IMO. Particularly for a home hobbyist. Fair enough if you're making money from your images but for the rest of us the asking price is out of this world. For people like us there's Photoshop Elements which does about 80% of what a photographer is likely to do in Photoshop CS3 for a fraction of the price.

You pays your money...yadda...yadda...yadda.

there are free alternatives out there which work with varying degrees of success but none are quite as good as Photoshop. The Gimp is actually based on PS 2 I think. Faststone also make a good image viewer and catqaloguer, also free.

Hope some of that helps although I suspect you're even more confused.

Incidentally, whereabouts in Ontario are you?

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject: Editing Programs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:20 am 

Thanks for that zorro....I was actually thinking of trying the "Gimp".

I'm in Windsor, located in southwestern Ontario.

C&C always welcome
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:40 am 

Yes, I know Windsor. I'm from Cornwall myself, although it's been a while since I was back over that side of the pond.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:33 pm 
Sorry zorro, the GIMP isn't based on Photoshop, even though they might have similar tools and perhaps something else too.

For your raw files, Nikon ViewNX might be good.
RawTherapee is pretty impressive for being free and in my opinion is one of the best raw converters / simpler image editors available. It's free too.

Here's a link to a couple of nice GIMP tutorials:
http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/