Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: First attempt at HDR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:49 am 
Technically speaking this isn't my first attempt, but it is my first with a proper camera. Let me know what you think.

Both were shot while on holiday in Australia. Not sure how the sky came to look the way it does in #2 but I don't really mind the effect. I wasn't really going for a realistic look. Let me know what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:43 am 

I quite like the first one even though there are still some under-exposed areas. I think you need still wider bracketing.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:55 am 
Oh God I feel like I'm being a complete halfwit here but...

"HDR" shots?

:(

Is this something to do with leaving the shutter open to get an infrared shot?

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:39 am 
Thanks for the replies guys.

Zorro,
I used +/- 2EV bracketing so does that mean I would have to do it manually if I wanted to bracket wider?

Chris,
HDR stands for High Dynamic Range which involves you combining an underexposed, evenly exposed and overexposed image to get one image that should be evenly exposed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:52 am 
ellyattc wrote:
Oh God I feel like I'm being a complete halfwit here but...

"HDR" shots?

Have a look at this thread which is a very useful introduction to HDR.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:28 am 

grahamnp wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys.

Zorro,
I used +/- 2EV bracketing so does that mean I would have to do it manually if I wanted to bracket wider?

Chris,
HDR stands for High Dynamic Range which involves you combining an underexposed, evenly exposed and overexposed image to get one image that should be evenly exposed.

Yes it does mean manual bracketing, sadly. I also have a D80 and I manually bracket all the time. Be careful though. Since you'll have to physically touch the camera between exposures make absolutely sure it's mounted rigidly on the tripod. Movement is fatal. Also, on the D80, be sure to use the exposure delay function. This will help ensure complete sharpness.

These are good shots though and well worth keeping, if only to see how things can be improved.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:54 pm 
Thanks Zorro. I don't like the hassle of lugging a tripod around though. I tend not to use it outside of the house so it looks like I'll need another solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:02 pm 

Don't fret Graham. Zorro has proven, that HDR can be done handheld. Just use 0, -2EV, +2EV bracketing. And keep steady...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:10 pm 
Yup, that's what I've been doing. My problem is that it would be difficult to bracket a range larger than +/- 2 EV handheld because that would have to be done manually and I am most likely to shake the camera in the process.

BTW, the align feature of Photomatix really helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:41 pm 
I think this has been suggested before, but is there a camera that takes multiple exposures during one shutter release? Amazing shot for hand-held graham.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:55 pm 
Hi Graham,
I think for your first attempt, they're really great! I love the detail brought out in both of the buildings.
Were they tonemapped entirely in Photomatix?
Well done!...keep them coming :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:08 pm 

Brain, no maker can do that, unfortunately.
They have not (yet) realized, that HDR can be supported much better when shooting: Even if they need to do 3 exposures, that could do mirror/exposure/focus-lock-up and shoot away three exposures faster than under normal conditions thus minimizing offset through camera-movement.
that would give us a nice triplet to combine afterwards (plus a nice option in CaptureNX for us Nikonians to combine the triplet.
With the D300 and D3 Nikon allows only +-1EV bracketing steps :cry: (with the D80 it's +-2EV!). With the D300 you end up needing 5 exposures when you want to capture +-2EV. Do this in 14 bit and this brand-new camera needs almost 2 seconds for that :shock: :idea: :( :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:58 pm 
Thanks Thomas. I was playing with the possibility that adjusting ISO (amplification) levels might produce similar results (and thus eliminate the need for mechanical changes), but I suppose there is no substitute for actually adjusting the amount of light that hits the sensor. :?: :shock: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:07 pm 

Quote:
there is no substitute for actually adjusting the amount of light that hits the sensor

Yep, Brian. You're dead right!
Photomatix can produce a HDR from a single shot, but that way, shadows can only be pulled out at the cost of noise and there is not more definition to be had in the highlights :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:15 pm 
Thanks again Thomas.

Sorry Graham, I didn't mean to take attention away from your fine photos!