Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:09 am 
Hi,

Everytime i open a file in Photoshop CS4 it gives an error which reads "There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available until you have selected a printer and reopened any documents.". And it has a cancel button below it. When i click cancel then the file opens up. This repeats with each and every file i open.

I installed CS4 on another machine and the error doesnt occur there. Ive read some vague answers on the net which mention resetting to a default xps printer in windows default printer. I dont even have a printer attached.

In fact im not even trying to do anything associated with my printer. Just trying to open an image.

Any ideas how to deactivate this error ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:24 am 

I assume you do actually have a printer selected on the machine with the problem. You could try setting a different printer as your default and see if this helps or you could try deleting Photoshop's preference file (which it will recreate next time you open the application).

I know one of the recent Vista updates from MS messed with printers and has stopped certain Canon printer drivers working.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:02 pm 
Hi Keystrokes,

Thanks for your post. Actually immediately after posting my question i solved the issue myself by trying various routes. The reset / delete preferences CTRL+SHIFT+ALT method i tried even before posting here. For the sake of it being helpful to someone else who might have this problem, im posting what i actually did below.

Actually i dont have any physical printer hooked to my system. It seems to be looking for a printer (which is pretty daft of photoshop as its not primarily a print tool) and hence giving this error that too in response to opening any image. As if every image opened in photoshop is destined to be printed. Or thats what the developers assume i guess.

So i went into windows control panel > Printers & Faxes and basically there was no printer activated since i dont have one. But i just picked some agfa printer xyz model and clicked install and set it as my default printer :roll: and that worked. Now CS4 doesnt repeat the error.

Warm Regards