Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Picasa Vs Lightroom
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:05 pm 
Im a beginner DSLR user (from christmas day) and im looking in to photo managment software. I dont want anything to complicated as i not a profeshional and im mainly just looking for practicality for image archiving.

I have both picasa and adobe lightroom, and im just asking which you guys think is the nicest, easiest and best program to use?

I like the editing features in lightroom, but i like ethe way that picasa uses the current photo file structure already on your hard drive and makes no alterations or saves anywhere else. If i rotate a picture in the application or delete a picture i would also like the option to delete it off my hard drive also. Backing up both my pictures and settings, tags etc.. is important to me

I currently import my pictures straight into a file structure on my hard drive eg by year, then each event in there own folder. I dont want to totaly abandon this system as it is easy to backup and change what software i want to use. Also I have a windows desktop and an apple laptop so i can use this current system i have on both and not have to rely on one software package.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:01 pm 
I like picasa for pictures I want to share with my friends quick. Easy to modify the most important things and then just upload the pictures but I prefer other programs for more serious editing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:12 pm 
further to this post, If you dont mind the price tag or get your software by other means then lightroom is fantastic. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:03 am 
You can have Lightroom set up so that it does not move or copy the files and just imports them the way they are. Just select import photos at their current location under the file handling drop down menu when you import from your hard drive.