Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Converting to Mac
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:54 am 
Hey guys,

First post on this website so apologies for it being a question!

I recently (yesterday) converted to Mac. So far it looks amazing and I'm not regretting the switch at all. The only problem is I have not done the research inot what phot-editing software is available on Mac.

I was reading a forum about Aperture 2 that seems like a very good option to persue.

What other software is out there and can anyone suggest any websites, forums or even digital text books that explain the finer points of the application?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:03 am 

What software were you using on your PC?

Bundled with your Mac you have iPhoto, another free application is Google's Picasa. You also have the Adobe suite available to you including Photoshop as well as more basic printer and camera manufacturer bundled software.

Other suggestions for Mac and other operating systems
http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/news/21- ... photoshop/

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:05 am 
As a mac user myself I use iPhoto. (it comes on your mac) I like it cause its simple and fast and works hand in hand with other iLife apps such as iWeb (which I do my website with) Sometimes I'll drop pictures into Lightroom but only if I need to edit them. iPhoto is terrible at editing photo's. its way too basic even for serious beginners. Thats why I got photoshop CS4 to edit pictures in. I can drag them right from iPhoto into photoshop CS4.

Apples Aperture and Adobe's Lightroom are very similar applications. They both have a library organization system and also do advanced editing. iPhoto is very similar to these though it only has very basic editing features.

Photoshop is more of a photo manipulation tool. and doesn't have any library or other way of organizing your photo's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:00 am 
Welcome to the forum founts!

I really dislike the way iPhoto takes control over certain things (like folder structure) and gives the user little to no control. It's a great basic tool IMO but not so good if you want to get more involved but as has been pointed out above, it can be used well so I'm just offering my two cents.

I'm currently using Lightroom 2. I tried Aperture and it was good but I prefered the way LR worked and I already had experience with that from when I was using Windows. What camera system are you using? For Nikon, ViewNX + CaptureNX 2 is powerful photo management and editing combo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:28 pm 
I'm guessing iphoto is the same thing as ms paint, but worse. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:15 pm 

Sounds more like Windows Live Photo Gallery to me, mainly an organisational tool with some basic enhancement options such as brightness/contrast, red eye removal, image cropping/straightening etc.

PC>Q6700/MSI P45 Zilent/6GB 800mhz DDR2/2x 4870 1GB/Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB/Maxtor 200GB+80GB

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:25 pm 

Welcome to the forums!

I think the big photo management and editing solutions are Aperture and Lightroom. I've never used Aperture but I really love Lightroom :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:28 am 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
I'm guessing iphoto is the same thing as ms paint, but worse. :?:

I guess you were joking but they are nothing alike...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:48 am 
iPhoto is a lot closer to Picasa. I personally think it's a much better program than Picasa, but there are those who swear it's the opposite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:49 am 
Good timing as Aperture 3 came ut and you can get a free trial. Also Lightroom is more "professional" looking i guess if thats what you are after.