Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:31 pm 
Hello,
I've been using Capture NX2 and Color Efx pro for Nx2 to edit my D90 raw images.
But now I am interested in Silver Efx pro and possibly some other plugin software. These don't plug in to Capture Nx2. So I've been thinking about getting Lightroom that I've heard great things about.

My computer is going on 3 years old now, and I can see myself replacing it within a year or two. It runs Windows Xp pro. Any new computer I buy will have a different OS ( probably windows 7 or maybe even Mac Os ).

But if I buy expensive software now, and then change OS in a year or two, then I'll have to buy the software all over again for the new system right ?

What do you all do about that ? Do I just have to bite that bullet ? Seems kind of expensive to do that. Or is there some other way with licensing through adobe or NIK software to get around it.

Thanks for any input.

Floyd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:31 pm 

Have you thought about Photoshop Elements 8? Don't know where you live but at Amazon.co.uk you can get it for £50, and I believe you can use plug-ins with it. Adobe Camera Raw is pretty good for RAW developing and Elements itself has most of te commonly used tools. A hell of a lot cheaper than Lightroom (although I enjoy Lightroom I'll not say how I got it!), so less of a loss if you switch to a Mac (you could upgrade to Win 7 and still use Elements or Lightroom BTW).

PC>Q6700/MSI P45 Zilent/6GB 800mhz DDR2/2x 4870 1GB/Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB/Maxtor 200GB+80GB

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:50 pm 
Yea I thought about elements. It may be the way to go so that I can use Silver EFX.
Are you saying though, that if I buy Elements or LR for my pc ( xp pro ), I can use the same software on Windows 7 without having to buy a new port of the software ?
If that's true, then maybe it will be the same for all my other programs, and Silver Efx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:58 pm 

Yeah, as long as you de-authorise the software on your old PC you can install on a new OS normally.

Windows software is windows software, especially newer stuff. If it works on XP it'll work on W7. Actually, thats a bit of a generalisation... some older stuff might not work, but Elements 8 and Lightroom 2 definately work on both. I'm using both on the 64bit version of W7 too. Don't know anything about plugins so can't comment on that.

Read this section on the Adobe site, should explain it all.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/100/1008779.html

PC>Q6700/MSI P45 Zilent/6GB 800mhz DDR2/2x 4870 1GB/Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB/Maxtor 200GB+80GB

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:17 am 
Thank you Mike.
I just have to figure out about the Nik software then, if that can be run on different computers and OSes.

So then if it works out, my new workflow would be convert raw in nx2, then transfer the jpg to either lr or elements and use the nik plugin,
or start learning the adobe product and convert raw there.

I wish nik would turn silver efx into a plugin for nx2 as they did with color efx.