Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:32 pm 
I am a total newcomer to photo editing/touching up and really have no idea on which software to buy, I have heard of sooo many. I dont want anything that is too complex but i dont want something thats rubbish. A happy Median of the 2 if possible.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be more than greatful.

Thanks alot!

Steven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:09 pm 
AdobePhotoshop is the most used, most powerfull and best single bit of software for imaging you can get But I recommend adobe lightroom, I absolutley love it.

Photoshop is a powerful bit of software that you can manipulate images with such as photo's, website images, icons etc.. but it is a bit complicated to use when your new as there are so many features.

Lightroom is a program specialy made for photographers. Unlike photoshop you can actually import, store and categorise your images and then also edit the photo's you choose. There is more to the program and the image editing options are not so great compeard to photoshop but I find its more than enough for my photograph editing and its much easiler to use.

There are other software solutions available but these are the most used. You could look into a program called GIMP which is an opensource "equivalent" to photoshop that is free but its not so powerfull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:30 am 
Depends on how much you want to spend.... in the Adobe camp you have the cheapest which is Photoshop Elements around £50 for version 5 now on Ver 6 (£?), Adobe Lightroom between £130 - £180 or if you really are flash with the cash Photoshop CS3 £569 :shock: I have CS3 but it was a Christmas present from 'er indoors :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:39 am 

You might like to give Lightzone a try. At least have a go with the demo anyway. I think it's a great program to use.

http://www.lightcrafts.com/

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:04 am 
Irfanview, not a full-blown editor, but for resizing, croping, brightness/contrast/hue/saturation/gamma and a few other nice features it is very good, quick and easy to learn/use, and freeware.
www.irfanview.com

For more complex tasks I like the Gimp, also freeware
www.gimp.org/, very steep learning curve tho' and the first time I used it I fell off :) !
But it is worth persisting with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:07 pm 
I usually use Faststone for basic editing -- it's free and works better than the manufacture's software I've tried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:56 pm 
how easy is Photoshop CS3 to use??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:48 pm 

It's a breeze mate. A mere mattter of moments :)

No, actually it's not :(

It's very clunky I find. However it is the industry standard and I think well worth persevering with.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:56 pm 
It is a very powerful program and has a lot of features. once you start learning how to use after a while things become second nature but I found there was quite a steep learning curve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:36 am 
Steven Oliver wrote:

Ask me again in six months and I might be able to tell you then, as I have only had it since Christmas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:14 pm 
Defiance wrote:
Steven Oliver wrote:

Ask me again in six months and I might be able to tell you then, as I have only had it since Christmas

then you're the perfect person to ask. How are you finding it so far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:06 pm 
Hard work, but getting there very slowly, with the CS3 package came a freebie I could have either a set of new fonts.. ergh no thanks, a video from Lynda.com... umm only if she does a strip midway through the vid or "Adobe Photoshop CS3 Classroom In A Book" with lessons on a CD as well... so went for the book which has now arived 470 odd pages just need the time and a few more new photos to get started on the first lesson, will report back on my progress as and when it does or doesn't happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:55 pm 

4 Year Veteran in Adobe Photoshop :D and I'm just about 17 haha!

Photoshop is so simple once you get the hang of it.

What you need to do is watch plenty video tutorials - they help a lot in photoshop if your new - I only had text ones back in the day, but they still helped a lot!

www.revision3.com - Look at pixel perfect with Bert Monroy (yes THE Bert Monroy!) - lots of cool tips and tricks for various things, and even a few in Adobe Lightroom.

Anyway - If you only want to do photo editing, then if you are a student in the UK you can get Adobe Lightroom for close to £60 i think.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:49 am 
Photofiltre is simple, light, and free with great tools too.
Or you could get their pro version "Photofiltre Studio"
hxxp://www.photofiltre-studio.com/download-en.htm (change xx with tt )
P.s. I watch bert monroy too :wink: