Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cheap RAW converters...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:48 am 
What is the cheapest software I can get to upload my RAW images, I am looking into shooting RAW because I saw the considerable amount of detail it records over just FINE JPEGs.

Sorry if I am incorrect about something or I am not specific enough, I am not very familiar with anything that deals with RAW images.haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Do you have Photoshop? Recent verions will convert your RAW files.

Others to consider are

Bibble (www.bibblelabs.com)
BreezeBrowser (www.breezesys.com)
Capture One (www.phaseone.com)
DxO Optics Pro (www.dxo.com)
Nikon's own CaptureNX (www.nikon.com)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:08 am 
What about the ones that get bundled with the camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:00 pm 
Oh, I didn't now I that Capture NX would convert RAW images.

So I would just take the picture in RAW and then what? It would be good if I could figure this out today because I have a shoot going on today and tommorow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Nathan, think of RAW as your image before things like sharpening, contrast, white balance and noise reduction have been applied. So you open it in your converter program and basically get to tweak all these settings.

The idea is that you're working on raw data which hasn't been touched yet, so you'll get a better result than tweaking a JPEG which has already been processed.

RAW files also tend to have a slightly higher tonal range to play with AND they haven't been losslessly compressed yet, so when you've processed them, you can save them with as little or as much compression as you like. This allows you to avoid the compression artefacts seen on most JPEGs.

PS - and Graham's right, most DSLRs come with software to convert RAW files, but they may not be as powerful as third party or non-free solutions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:36 pm 
There's a free RAW converter/editor called Therapee (sorry you'll have to Google it) that's similar to GIMP in that it's experimental. I can't use it because my computer's too old and slow, but it seems to have lots of features.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:08 pm 
Alright, thanks guys. I will give it a shot and I will tell you how it worked out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:02 pm 
The GIMP nor RawTherapee are no longer really experimental, the GIMP has grown to be very solid, RawTherapee only misses a couple of features but its conversion quality is usually excellent. You might need to fiddle with the default settings and perhaps save your own presets if you like them, but even though it says it's experimental on its website, I don't think it's true anymore. I've been using it for a while now and it's great.

Nikon ViewNX isn't too bad now, the latest version is quite nice, actually.