Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:29 pm 

Working with flickr and the posibilites to define sets and to tag photos I'm sorely missing these features in the Windows explorer.
Is there a way to tag photos and put them inmultiple sets in VISTA?
Or is there a software that makes it easy to tag and sort your photos in different ways and to search through them?
Help, please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

I've not had a chance to use Lightroom yet, but doesn't that allow you to catalogue your photos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:58 am 
Photoshop Elements has those features - not sure if it runs under Vista, but I think Adobe have just released a new version, so it should do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:59 am 

Lightroom allows you to tag photos. I think the tags get uploaded to Flickr, I'll give it a try to see and let you know here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:47 pm 

Thanks for your help, guys.
What I wish I could do with tagging is the obvious thing, just like in flickr: select all pictures tagged with "dog" and all pictures tagged with "netherlands" plus display all pictures tagged with "dog AND netherlands" and so on. Also the set and collection-building in flickr is very convenient, as you could easily put one picture into different sets.
That flickr takes the tags would certainly be a very welcome added bonus as that would mean I only have to tag my pictures only once.
I would also love to tag also RAW/NEF-files so as to have a connection between the jpegs and the raws on my hard-disk.
If the software could also sort/group pictures by the EXIF-data (e.g. shot with my 50mm f1.4 etc.) would be great. So the optimal thing youd be to treat EXIF-data just like any other tags. But perhaps I'm just expecting too much :?

Last edited by Thomas on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:17 am 
Hi Thomas,
I've never used this, but I did a search and came across this software that might do the job that you're looking for and you can sort by EXIF data with it. Looks a bit pricey though :(

http://www.extensis.com/en/products/ass ... US&id=2000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:06 am 

You can definitely do it with Lightroom. Here's what you do.

1. You can assign keywords to a photo within Lightroom. A photo can have any number of keywords. Keywords can have a hierarchical structure.

2. Use the Export form in Lightroom to upload to Flickr. The top part of the form controls the format of the file to be exported. The bottom item allows an action to be carried out after the exported file has been created. In this case the export process will automatically run the Flickr Uploadr. To do this I had to create a shortcut to the Flickr Uploadr in the folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Export Actions (I'm running Vista).

3. Here's the photo in the Flickr Uploadr, ready to be uploaded.

4. Here's the uploaded photo complete with tags.

I've created a set documenting this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:32 am 

Well I was going to suggest ACDSee, until I read Phils post above, lol. Now I'm off to try that myself. At last, something Lightroom is good for. I'm particularly impressed with the Flickr uploading feature. I wonder if ACDSee can be set up in this way.

Thanks for the heads-up Phil.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:35 pm 

Hmmm Phil, that looks interesting. Can you also browse/sort by EXIF-data, e.g. the type of lens you used? And tag RAW/NEF-files?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:57 am 

tombomba2 wrote:
Hmmm Phil, that looks interesting. Can you also browse/sort by EXIF-data, e.g. the type of lens you used? And tag RAW/NEF-files?

Yes, you can browse/sort by the following metadata:

Camera
Lens
File Type
Aperture
Shutter Speed
ISO Speed Rating
Date
Label

Here's a sample from my database:

You can apply tags to NEF/RAW files. As well as this you can mark photos as picked or rejected, give photos a rating between 1 and 5 and mark a phto with one of 5 coloured labels. If you're interested I suggest you download the trial version of Lightroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:55 pm 

Now I'm almost sold!
Ooops, that one is 180EUR :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:08 pm 

I bought it just before the price went up. It really is worth the money for managing lots of photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:29 pm 

When you've made a selection of photos, is there a full-screen viewing-mode?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:28 pm 

There are all sorts of viewing modes. You can compare a number of similar photos, discarding them as you go. You can see a ful screen version then enable lights out mode which fades the program interface down in 2 stages so that you end up with just the photo on screen with everything else black. You can then go on to develop the photos, print them and create web galleries. The develop module is fantastic. You can adjust white balance, exposure, recover blown highlights etc. Just download the trial and give it a go :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:05 pm 

Phil wrote:
download the trial

Yep, will do!