Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Photoshop, B&W and RAW?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:01 pm 
I've just been looking at some shots in my newly purchased version of Adobe CS4 Design Standard and found that when viewing B&W shots in either Photoshop or Bridge they are shown in colourm not B&W.
I'm new to Photoshop so don't know how to use it properly but I have upgraded from Elements (and have a sister in graphic design) so it's not alien to me.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, or not doing, or is that just how PS deals with RAW files making me change to B&W in PS. Does it mean that other attributes like white balance modes are also ignored when opening in PS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:17 am 
When you shoot RAW, the camera does not process the picture in any way, so it comes out colour, if you save RAW+JPEG, you will get a colour RAW and a B&W JPEG. That's how the camera uses Raw.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:08 am 

The way photoshop and bridge manipulate RAW files, is by XMP files. So if you change the colours in a raw file, the raw file will not be chaged, but an XMP sidecard file will be created that contains the changes in that RAW file. Perhaps bridge does not read XMP's properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:32 pm 
Citruspers wrote:
The way photoshop and bridge manipulate RAW files, is by XMP files. So if you change the colours in a raw file, the raw file will not be chaged, but an XMP sidecard file will be created that contains the changes in that RAW file. Perhaps bridge does not read XMP's properly.

Thanks. I realise this but the problem is that I'm not changing anything in Bridge/PS, I've changed things in the camera and that's what's not being detected. Very frustrating and I don't know how to sort it. Could be something to do with the Raw plugin or maybe the Canon raw codec for windows, I have both installed.

PS users, do you have the same issues?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:44 pm 

The RAW file will always be in colour as it is the base data from the sensor. If I want a B&W jpeg from the camera I shoot RAW + JPEG with the mono picture style selected so I get both.

If you open the RAW in Canons DPP program I think you can apply the picture style (B&W) from the camera.

Personally if I don't like the JPEG straight from the camera I convert the RAW to B&W in PS using either the B&W conversion tool or Silver EFXPro.

Just a thought

mirageII

Canon EOS 30/33 and Pentax MX/ME Super
Rollei 35S

MY FLICKR!