Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wildlife Post-Processing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:06 pm 
Hi,

I don't know if this belongs here or the wildlife section. Please move if it does not belong in this section.

Question: Are there any specific post processing techniques applicable to wildlife photography? That is apart from the usual levels, sharpness etc. I have heard that there are some but I don't know what they are.
Does anyone know or follow anything special for animal/bird photos?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:22 am 

I use lightroom now almost exclusively and rarely open photoshop or photopaint when doing pp on my wildlife shots... along with the expected usuals I use...

2 functions I find myself using a lot are the recovery and fill light functions seeing that rarely do you have the sun in the perfect spot.. I also find myself using the brighten fuction in the adjustment brush tool once in a while for the same reason.

Only other thing I tend to be picky about is trying not to have any manmade objects in the pic if I can avoid it but that is just a personal preference... by manmade I mean roads, power lines or posts, road signs and so on. I try as hard as I can to crop them out.

Another thing I like using is a noise reduction program for those inevitable shots you will get at high ISO due to light. For this I use Neat Image.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr