Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:03 pm 
I'm having trouble with Adobe Lightroom and my moderately sized photo library. I have about 14k photos, half of them RAW and half of them JPEGs. I'm trying to import them into Lightroom, but after importing roughly 9k photos Lightroom has crawled to a grinding halt. It takes ages to import just one photo.

Is this normal? I'm on a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM so I don't think my computer specs are the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:20 am 
How much HD space do you have left? I'm not sure why but LR seemed to require LOTS and LOTS of free space on my HD to run smoothly even when the cache and all associated LR directories only occupied a fraction of what I had remaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:06 am 
I have 320GB free, and the page file size is set to the recommended 4603 MB and is a fixed size file. Everything else flies on this machine, I just don't understand why Lightroom is so slow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:11 am 
That is very weird, LR is quite frustrating sometimes. Are you using the lastest version? Have you tried reverting to the older one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:43 am 
Well, I'm using the trial of Lightroom 2.5 as I contemplate whether to go down the Lightroom route. This hasn't impressed me ... Photoshop Element's Organizer is doing a far better job at this stage and that's wrong on so many levels o.O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:54 am 
Ah, tough luck then. I'm no expert on this and I've run out of ideas anyway, hopefully the others will chime in.

For what it's worth, I've found LR to be fantastic for everything except speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:04 pm 
Left it on as I went to work. Library was fully imported when I got back. I hope this doesn't happen when I import a huge set of files the next time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:01 pm 

My largest import was 8 GB's of raw files and thet went on smoothly on my 3 ghz quad machine with 4 GB's of RAM. Are you using the 64 bit version (assuming you use 64 bit windows)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:15 pm 
I'm using the 32 bit Lightroom and 32 bit Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:16 am 

Put your Lightroom cache to 50GB

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:58 am 
Ok, I'll try that. It's currently set to 1.0 GB.