Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:29 am 
Would like to know which Photo editing software everyone uses and for what type of editing.

I mainly use Gimp , now I started using Aperture 2 and comparing it with Lightroom. I find Aperture has more plugins so I am liking it more .
________
Toyota A-BAT history

Last edited by goldengloves on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:38 am 
I use Lightroom 2 for management and editing, Capture NX2 for more serious editing and Photoshop for some really serious manipulation.

Tried Aperture but couldn't really get into it, tethered shooting mode is nice though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:43 am 
I was using Capture NX2 up until a few days ago. I love it, the results are fantastic BUT I simply can't integrate it into my workflow so I'm (for the time being) using Aperture. The results i'm getting from it, very happy with so far. The editing tools are a bit limiting but nothing that can't really be fixed in Photoshop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:46 am 

Welly wrote:
I was using Capture NX2 up until a few days ago. I love it, the results are fantastic BUT I simply can't integrate it into my workflow so I'm (for the time being) using Aperture. The results i'm getting from it, very happy with so far. The editing tools are a bit limiting but nothing that can't really be fixed in Photoshop.

Same here, I hated capture NX, so for now I Shoot RAW, do minimal conversions in ViewNX, export to Jpeg/Tiff, open in lightroom, and open in photoshop for further processing if neccesary ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:30 pm 
I've been playing around with F-Spot for asset management and GIMP for editing. It works fairly well so far. I shoot JPEG though, and with this software combo I'll need to use UFRaw.

Previously when I shot RAW, I used RAWTherapee as a RAW converter and asset manager. It's not as powerful as Lightroom, but RAWTherapee coupled with GIMP works rather well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:11 pm 
It depends. I recently upgraded to Photoshop CS4, and that has the in camera colour profiles in Adobe camera raw, so I get the same colours as I would with Capture NX2. Before I would use CS2 and the colours looked like garbage which meant I did minor editing in NX2, and then exported to TIFF for further editing in Photoshop CS2. I'm really glad I don't have to do that anymore. If I want to be double sure I am getting what Nikon says I should be getting 'ha-ha' then I'll use NX2.

I also use Nik Colour Effex plugin within photoshop, as well as Dfine and Noiseware pro for noise reduction. I also use Lightroom 2 when I want to see what images I've taken over the year, and also when I want to search by exif, quite a nifty feature within Lightroom 2.

I also have Nikon Camera Control 2. With the D700, I can use live view while connected to the pc, and obviously do tethered shooting if I want, as well as time lapse.

All in all I've got everything I could possibly need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:15 pm 

Interesting greg, I found Lightroom 2 (with the latest camera raw) still gave me relatively poor results compared to Nikon's RAW conversion or default jpegs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:22 pm 
Citruspers wrote:
Interesting greg, I found Lightroom 2 (with the latest camera raw) still gave me relatively poor results compared to Nikon's RAW conversion or default jpegs.

Your experience sounds similar to mine (though I'm using the other system). That says a lot more about Nikon's JPEG engine and RAW converter than it does about ACR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:32 pm 
Citruspers wrote:

I didn't say I use lightroom 2 for processing . I said I use it purely to browse my image database and have an archive of my photos. :P

pgtips wrote:
Citruspers wrote:

Your experience sounds similar to mine (though I'm using the other system). That says a lot more about Nikon's JPEG engine and RAW converter than it does about ACR.

As soon as you have the camera profiles in ACR and Photoshop CS4, then you have no real issues as far as I'm concerned. Older versions of ACR are another story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:45 am 
Citruspers wrote:

That's what I've found too. I haven't really compared JPEGs out of LR2 to the JPEGs out of the camera but they are noticeably inferior to the JPEGs out of CNX2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:53 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
Citruspers wrote:

That's what I've found too. I haven't really compared JPEGs out of LR2 to the JPEGs out of the camera but they are noticeably inferior to the JPEGs out of CNX2.

I don't shoot jpeg's in camera. I save as Jpeg from CS4 or from NX2. Either way it hasn't made any huge difference to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:02 pm 
I use RawTherapee to convert my RAW shots, if I don't think the conversion is as good as it could be, I try it in RAWHide, UFRaw and Nikon ViewNX.
If I have to do any futher processing, I use the GIMP or Corel Photo-Paint.
If I have lots of RAWs to go through, I use IrfanView to sort out the rubbish, as it uses jpegs embedded in NEFs and is quite fast at that.
I don't need tagging or ratings, as what's good enough for me stays, what's not goes. I also save my photos in what I consider a sensible folder structure, it saves time among other things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:58 pm 

ACDSee Pro for browsing, Photoshop CS4 for editing and back to ACDSee for final cropping. Is there another way?

zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:54 pm 

zorro wrote:
ACDSee Pro for browsing, Photoshop CS4 for editing and back to ACDSee for final cropping. Is there another way?

zorro 8)

Lightroom for all? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:31 am 
• Lightroom for RAW
• IrfanView for quick cropping/resizing.
• Xara Xtreme Pro for most other work