Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: side-by-side images?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:23 am 
This should be simple and basic but I can’t figure it out. How do you bring two images together side-by-side to make one picture? I have Photoshop Elements 3, GIMP, Irfanview, Master 2, and a few others. I do not want to make prints – I know how to put them together on a print – I want to upload comparison images to the web/forum. This process seems so simple I’m embarrassed to be asking, but I would appreciate help (simple solutions please).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:17 am 

Just open both pics in the application of choice, then make a screenshot (you sure have a tool to make screenshots, don't you?)!
Looky here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38912116@N00/1560051438/ or there: www.flickr.com/photos/38912116@N00/728291920
Simple, yet effective :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:31 am 
I can't even figure out how to get two pix in the same workspace. When I try to open a second file it just overwrites the first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:07 pm 

Could you start two copies of Photoshop Elements, then load two different pics and position both instances side-by-side on your monitor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:24 pm 
Interesting, Thomas, I'll play with that. I have to take a break for a while though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:04 am 
Hey, I got it, I got it. It's so simple -- haven't done that for years: simply hit the Print-Screen key (that captures the screen) then paste it into whatever pgm you like, like Windows Paint, and save it as JPEG.

Thanks Thomas, it wasn't the solution I expected, but it's the one that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Another trick much loved by product review journalists who need to grab screenshots is to hold ALT as you press print-screen. This ONLY captures the active window to the clipboard, eliminating many cropping processes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:02 am 
That's better yet! Thanks Gordon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:48 pm 
Came across this thread. If people are still interested:

Use Irfanview>Thumbnail View (Press 'T')>Select the two photos you want side by side (Use Ctrl-Key)>Then: File>Create Contact Sheet From Selected Files..>Set Columns to 1 and Rows to 2>Set size of final image and space in between and whatever else you want to tweak>Press Create>Presto!

Ben

Post subject: 2-up pics
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:36 pm 
I use Paintshop Pro v6 (12 years old): First I decide on the final size, then the two sizes to paste together. Then I resize both, then use Canvas Size to expand the first pic to the 2-up size, then Edit-Copy the 2nd pic, then Transparent-paste the 2nd pic into the blank area. Extremely simple, takes a few seconds at most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:58 pm 
Cam-I-Am wrote:
Came across this thread. If people are still interested:

Use Irfanview>Thumbnail View (Press 'T')>Select the two photos you want side by side (Use Ctrl-Key)>Then: File>Create Contact Sheet From Selected Files..>Set Columns to 1 and Rows to 2>Set size of final image and space in between and whatever else you want to tweak>Press Create>Presto!

Let me add something that I didn't mention explicitly before. I was a bit 'succinct' ;)

Because this Irfanview function is originally intended to make 'contact sheets' and resizes the images accordingly you have to calculate the size of the resulting image to twice the width of the individual photo and set the height to the original height (plus any borders and space between you might want to use otherwise set these to zero) and set it accordingly. Then Irfanview doesn't (have to) resize them and although I cannot know the internal machinations of Irfanview I assume it doesn't process the images when it doesn't have to resize them.

It does the trick though.

Ben