Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:35 pm 

Hello Graham! I hope I didn't confuse you, because I'm using the German version and am not sure about the terminology in the English version :?
Stacking is only relevant if you want to use RAWs and JPGs but don't want to clutter your library. Otherwise you can easily do without stacking.
Apart from how the stacks behave with only the top-of-the-stack receiving any changes (but it's easy to flatten the stack) and the small gripe when you want to call CaptureNX with the original NEF, I think it's the best for catalogueing, tagging, searching your pics. And that is getting increasingly tedious with over 10,000 (x2) files flying around on my comp :shock:
Best thing is if you start using LR early and do all the tagging from the beginning, everything is much easier than taking your time after 10,000 shots and adding tags afterwards.
And it can start the Flickr uploader but unfortunately "forgets" to upload the tags, only the IPTC-data go with each file. But Flickr cannot search those...
I almost never use the "develope"-, "print"- or "web"-part of LR. I use "develope" only to crop [EDIT:] and to eliminate unwanted parts or dust-marks from the pic with the copy/repair-stencil, which I very much miss in CaptureNX.[/EDIT]
Plus I use the dia-show, because it's easy to select/filter in the library and then immediately present. And you can use both monitors in a multi-monitor-setup, where one monitor is setup for portrait-format. Although no automatic switching depending on the format of the image :?

Last edited by Thomas on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:56 am 
Nope no confusion at all! It's called stacking in the english version too I just never realised lightroom had such a feature. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:58 pm 

Well, have been sorting back my NEFs that I had seperated from the JPGs all the way into an extra folder. Quite a task, as Windows explorer does not show the original date of shooting with NEFs. Then it's onto auto-stacking them (each NEF and the respective JPG) in LR. Normally this works quite well on thousands of images.

But time and again there show up these quadruples (stacks of 4 instead of pairs) because the exposure-time of both shots was less than a second apart. What is the easiest way to seperate 1 stack of 4 into 2 stacks of 2?
- open the stack (so you see all 4 images).
- mark the 2 images that don't belong in stack.
- rigth-click and remove those 2 images from the stack, they will now appear besides the correct stack of (remaining) 2 and still be selected.
- right-click on the jpg-file and make them into a new stack.

There is another "trick" included in this advise: If you want 2 (or more) pics to form a stack, you selct those images and then right-click on the pic that you want on top of the stack to perform the operation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:11 pm 

I can't help with your Lightroom issues (can't stand the program) but are you using XP? If so, are you using the Raw Powertoy? Might help with your RAW image properties in Explorer.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:11 pm 

pjos11 wrote:
When importing photos from my computer to Lightroom does a COPY of the photo move over or the complete file if you know what I mean?

Well, that depends on your LR-setting. You can easily import "in place" so no copies are made. That's the least confusing imho...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:11 pm 

Stacking and collections. Weeeell:
1. You cannot stack in LightRoom collections. No Sirrreee!
2. If you select stacked images and add them to a collection, only the top-of-the-stack image is added to the collection.
3. So if you unstack the stacked images first, add them to a collection, that's fine and dandy until you try to re-stack them in the collection: rule #1 applies.
So you have to make up your mind about stacked images in collections. For the time being, I think, just put the top-of-the-stack image into the collection and when you need to access the rest of the stack, it's really easy to jump from an image in the collection to the folder where the complete stack of this image resides.
Voila!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:51 pm 

Did my tip work?

Zorro :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:53 pm 

Yeah, I had that already installed.
Thanks, Zorro!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:21 pm 

Ah, ok. Nae worries.

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:00 pm 
Could someone help me with a problem I've recently started having?

Over the last few weeks, images posted to my flickr pro account have had the EXIF data stripped out. I've checked my flickr settings but these are correct.

I'm also not doing any additional editing of these images that I wasn't doing before, and am exporting them in the same way.

I'm running the LR on windows XP.

Examples to compare would be:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rolandw/2250338810/ (contains EXIF data) and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rolandw/2257482348/ (EXIF data missing)

Thanks for any help,
Roland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:08 pm 
How are you exporting the photos?

I don't use any other methods but if you right click on a photo selected for export and click export from the drop down menu there will be the option to minimise embedded EXIF data when you scroll down a bit. It was checked by default for me, uncheck this option and the full EXIF data should be exported along with the photo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:33 pm 
Thanks Graham.

I'll check again that I'm including the data on export, and report back.

Roland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:10 pm 

Another thing I looked for:
Is there a way to put a standard border around the images when you export them (to Flikr e.g.)? I didn't find a function like that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:20 am 
Is there any way to shoot in RAW and export the RAW files with the "as-shot" settings chosen in-camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:57 pm 

Yes, you can export the original RAW/NEF file-type and I'm pretty sure Lightroom does not (and cannot) change anything with these files on export.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next