Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:56 pm 

I know it's an eternal question of which is the "best" raw converter, and I thought one way to see how things flow is to see what people actually use!

Rather than just stick up a regular poll, I'll make this a write-in one. Don't just say which converter you use, but also why? Is it the quality? Ease of use? Workflow? Performance? Integration? Something else?

Why am I asking? I'm still dabbling between jpeg and raw, in part because 95% of the time, I get good enough results faster starting from camera jpeg. Only in exceptional circumstances might the raw give me enough extra to use it. The raw converter I've used out of habit is Adobe Camera Raw, of the crippled variety in Photoshop Elements. But can I do better? I've tried RawTherapee but really don't get along with its interface. RawHide isn't much better. Just downloaded demo of DXO and that seems much better, although I'm still getting to grips with it.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:14 pm 

I use Lightroom for it's amazing workflow. NX2 (nikon's paid software) does a better RAW conversion, but is slow, unmanageable and...just crummy to use.

Nah, I'd rather sacrifice a bit of IQ and nikon's active D-lighting and use a program I get along with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:48 am 
I use Dxo Optics Pro and absolutely love it! I installed the trial version last year and the quality of the conversion made me revisit some of the images I finished processing months ago... if you're unsure what raw converter to get, give Dxo a try. The trial version works without any restraints, and any customizations you make will make it into the full version should you choose to upgrade. The full version runs at about 100$.

There are some minor flaws that I hope a patch will fix someday. And the software is quite demanding on your system, my trusty old laptop is breathing pretty heavily when doing the processing.

A great thing with DxO is that you can download the specific correction settings for almost every camera body and lens combination. And the correction works great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:28 am 
I use DxO Optics as well and like it too. The first corrections are made in DxO and refined in the Gimp. The UFRaw-converter belonging to Gimp I donĀ“t use much though.

Kind regards,

ngc94227

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:35 pm 
If I need some high quality RAW conversion, I'll use RawTherapee.

These days, I shoot mostly JPEG thanks to Canon's superb JPEG engine. I might lose some fine detail though this is only noticeable if you view at 100% and pixel peep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:24 am 
I use LR2 most of the time but when I need some fine control over exposure and other settings (because I screwed up), I use Capture NX2.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:44 am 
I use Instant Jpeg from raw convertor, it is free online
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u89zSlb_PwM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:38 am 
That's not a RAW converter, it appears to be extracting the JPEG previews from RAW files. If that's what you're going to do, you're better off shooting JPEG.