Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: organizing photos
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:21 pm 
I was hoping someone could give me some tips about how to organize photos on their computer. The problem I have is that I have 3 programs, Photoshop CS4, iPhoto, and Digital Photo Professional (came with 40D). I like the organization of iPhoto and it makes it easy to show pictures to friends and family. I starting to learn photoshop to do a lot of editing too. Is there a need for DPP if I have CS4? How do you transfer edited photos to iPhoto? And where (and how) can I keep original copies of photos as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:44 pm 
I don't use any of the programmes you have so can not advise whether all of them are essential for your needs. The usual advice for original files is to save them in at least two locations, perhaps an external HD drive and also on DVDs. That way if you lose one lot due to mishap you still have another copy.
I have my photo files on my main hard drive and backed up onto an external drive. The really important (best loved) ones are also saved on DVDs. You may wish to consider partitioning your hard disk and keeping your photos on a partition separate from the OS. That way it should be easier to recover your files if the OS becomes corrupted as can happen.
I prefer the folder based software so use ACDSee as my main image viewer and a combination of Elements 7 and Ulead Photo Impact for PP. I am not an expert but can do what I need with these two inexpensive programmes. I think a lot of people waste money on Photoshop and never use all of its features.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:59 am 

I fell in love with Lightroom's organizing/database structure.

What I do is create folders:

Portraits Me
Portraits Family
Photoshoot Girlfriend
Event Up2You

etc etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:33 am 
I to fell in love with LR's database/structure. I organise my photos by Month, then in that folder, the normal shots go into folders by day, unless i have been shooting an event, upon when the photos go into a folder under the event name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:34 am 
Here's a screenshot from a couple of months ago!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:36 pm 
I haven't even looked into Lightroom. I'll check it out. Thanks for the advice.