Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How is this done?
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:44 am 
My wedding photographer adds some kind of colour correction or effect somehow and Im wondering if anyone can tell me how this is done. Its sort of absent of colour with a bit of a green tinge... I've also seen these types of images around the web as well. Any thoughts? Is it photoshop, Lightroom preset? what?

I cannot save images from her website so please click on this link and then click weddings at the top left hand side.

Thanks http://www.manifestophotography.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:54 am 

if you're in photoshop, change the image to black and white by however method you see fit.

Once the image is in Black and White, if you press ctrl+U on the keyboard you'll get the hue/saturation/brightness window open. On that window, theres a little tick box that says colorize. If you tick that, and play around with the sliders you should get the effect you're after.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:35 pm 
Thank you so much Phil.... that has been driving me a little nuts. Changing the image to B&W is the step I was missing.

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:37 pm 

No worries, glad to have helped. Don't forget to post up the results :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:02 pm 
Phil I did what you said in photoshop cs3 and it seemed to just make the image kind of a sepia (different colours of cource) My appologies, I may have not described which images I was looking at on their website. If it werent for their flash player I could just post one of the images and I cant seem to find this effect at the moment on any other photo's even though ive seen it around.

click on http://www.manifestophotography.com/

Now click on Wedding in the top left corner

Now at the top of the flash player their are blue coloured boxes.. click the third one over and it shows a women sitting in a truck with an older gentalmen standing in front. Thats the type of effect Im trying to achieve.

Sorry for the hassle..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:33 pm 

Ah right, I assumed the picture on the homepage from the original post.

At first glance I'd say its down to saturation control and selective colours. I'll have another look in a bit if that's ok with you? The sun's shining and the bbq is on, so will try and get something to you later tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:12 pm 

What you're after is what I believe to be called Vibrancy. There is a built in feature in Photoshop that will do this automatically for you - but the results aren't that great.

I've found you a tutorial online that should help you to achieve the images you're after. This is at: This link. This is also a similar tutorial but has a different method: Link

If you struggle to understand any of the points in the tutorial, let me know and I'll try to make it clearer. I've just followed that tutorial on one of my own pictures (poor subject though) and the results seemed close to what you wanted to achieve.

Let me know how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:48 pm 
Thank you so much again Phil! You have been extremely helpful and quick to reply back. I will post my results soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:16 pm 

Use a black and white adjustment layer, take the opacity of it down till you get some color back. Then you can change the hue/saturation or whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:58 am 
Ok so I've followed the tutorial you've posted me Phil. It really is a simple concept. I am going to try the other one you posted as well as Shagrath's method next. (Thank you Shagrath)

P.S- Sorry the kids head is chopped but it was just an image to work with.

This is the image before low vibrancy:

And the image after:

What do you guys think. I know I could have spent a little bit more time adjusting the levels but so far it has worked id say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:00 am 

Another thing I try sometimes if I want to make it even more dramatic is to use burn/dodge tools very gently. About 20% is the highest I go, and then after I do that I turn the opacity of the burnt/dodged layer down.

The image you did looks a lot less subtle than her photos but it looks like you're going in the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:37 am 

That looks cool slick. If its the style your after then Im glad to have helped. When I get some time, I'll have a go at this too and post up my results

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:44 am 
have you tried the tinti program? all results can be achieved with photoshop just makes it a little quicker but you will still have to fine adjust some things hope this helps http://www.indii.org/software/tintii

its free or you can get the plugin