Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:50 pm 
This is my first post here and I have searched for the answer. If I have missed it somewhere... I'm sorry.

I have a Nikon D60 and it is the first dslr I have had. When transfering the pics from the camera to my computer (windows XP) I have always before just organized and viewed my pics on 'my pictures' that comes with Windows.

I have read and read and am ready to start to really learn how to use a dslr. I went into ViewNx and my pictures are all there. I can pull up new pics and old pics. However, I cannot do anything other than rotate them, zoom in or out, or just view them and what the specs are. I cannot edit anything.

I read the articles in the help section and followed the instructions... still nothing. If I try and go to the quic adjustment and then to picture control utility I get the sample pre-loaded pic. If I try to go further I get a message that reads 'no storage media detected or the media is not formatted for the camera.

Am I completely lost? Do I not have it installed correctly? Is this just a viewing software, but not editting? I was under the impression that it was also an editing software.

I hope I have explained this in a way that you can understand! Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:19 pm 
Is ViewNX only for adjusting/editing/correctin RAW/.nef files? I have not shot any pictures in RAW... is that why I can't do anything? Maybe I'm just an idiot. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:02 am 
You can adjust exposure, white balance, and convert NEF format to TIFF or JPEG with ViewNX. Exposure & WB adjustments can also be made with JPEG images. It is more an image browser than anything.

For a full range of editing ability, Nikon has made CaptureNX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:31 pm 
Thank you for your response.

I still can't do anything other than browse pictures. I must have something set up incorrectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:43 pm 
Look down your left hand side of the window. There are 3 tabs: Folder, Metadata and Quick adjustment.

It's the 3rd tab that you want to adjust exposure, sharpness and WB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:10 pm 
When I follow your instructions, what I get in black print are the labels 'quick adjustment' 'exposure comp' 'white balance' and 'picture control' but the sub-labels where it looks like the actual adjustment would be made are in a pale whitish colore and when I click on them the boxes don't open and the arrow (for exposure comp) don't move.

I'm wondering if I don't have it installed correctly?

Here is what I want to do: When uploading from the camera the I use the camera wizard for microsoft... all of my pics are in 'my pictures' just because that's where they have been for years. I then go (try) into ViewNX and can also view all the pictures there and can view them thumbnail or full screen but that is it. I can read the specs for each picture etc. So my intent was to just do the RAW processing and then post processing editing in Photoshop. I took a few RAW pics but when trying to upload them, microsoft camera wizard does not detect them and if I try through ViewNX it gives a message saying it doesn't recognize the media or USB and to change the USB setting. I can't find anywhere in the manual that talks about that?

I apologize, I feel like a complete idiot. It doesn't seem like it should be this difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:19 pm 
Are you uploading your photos straight from the camera rather than through a card reader?

You can't edit NEFs that have been protected.