Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:16 am 
***please move if not in the correct part of the forum***

Right here goes, I just got myself a D40 and would like to open the NEF files with photoshop 6.0 but i don't seem to be able to,
i have searched the for plug-ins for this but have had no joy at all, can anyone tell me where i can get a plug-in for this.
I have LR2 and CS3 master collection here as well would either of these be better to work with instead of PS??

Would i be better shooting in Jpeg??

Sorry for the complete noob questions

Thanks in advance

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:29 am 

Hi Jay,

My guess is that the D40 was released after Photoshop 6 had already been replaced by a later version. Adobe take the view that you should buy new versions of their software to take advantage of native support for new file formats. :(

I faced a similar situation a while back with my 40D which came out after Photoshop CS2 was released. The workaround is to download a copy of Adobe's free DNG Converter which should, I hope, be compatible with both Photoshop 6 and your NEF files. Alternatively you can use your Nikon software to do the initial post-processing and export the result as 16 bit TIFF files which can then be read by Photoshop.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:40 am 
Bob

Thank you so much for the quick reply, as i'm new to photography i thought i'd shoot in NEF so that i can have more control over the PP
to fix any mistakes i have made taking the pic, do you think i would be better just shooting in Jpeg fine to save myself such hassles
or are the benefits of shooting NEF files worth all the messing about.

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:41 am 
I'd shoot NEF Raw is much better then jpg at least with my camera i've noticed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:49 am 
Cheers Eagle,

i had a feeling that the NEF files would be better quality but im not %100 sure of the benefits of shooting in NEF, are the only benefits that you can do more PP with it later or is there more to it. Sorry for all the nooby questions i'm on a HUGE learning curve here. :D

regards

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:53 am 
with my canon jpgs lose a lot of the sharpness which ruins some shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:02 am 
Yeah i now know what you mean, just taken some pics in Jpeg fine and there seems to be a bit of noise in them, i think i'll switch back to NEF, i do lose some FPS but i think the IQ will justify it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:32 pm 

Photoshop's RAW conversion isn't as good as Nikon's anyway. Go download ViewNX, then inside there convert your RAW to a .tiff file. Open that .tiff in photoshop and edit away. You'll get better results than if you just opened in photoshop anyway.

By the way, congratulations on the D40. It's a fun camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:07 pm 
Shagrath.. Thanks for that info, i have ViewNX here got it on a disc when i got my camera just wasn't aware that i could convert with it. Is photoshop better than lightroom to do the PP in?

Cheers for the congrats on the cam, can't wait for some dry days to get out and take some pics though.

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:55 pm 

Jayman69 wrote:
Shagrath.. Thanks for that info, i have ViewNX here got it on a disc when i got my camera just wasn't aware that i could convert with it. Is photoshop better than lightroom to do the PP in?

Cheers for the congrats on the cam, can't wait for some dry days to get out and take some pics though.

Jay

Yeah, alternatively you can download ViewNX for free from Nikon's website. You should get the latest version if you haven't already, they've made some good improvements. It's also the best RAW converter available for your camera.

I prefer to do my post processing in Photoshop, but I've been using it for years so I may have a bias. It's up to your preference if you are only doing minor tweaks. If you're doing major post processing photoshop will shine though. That's why I prefer it. I can do everything I need to in photoshop. Although, I will say that Photoshop is really lacking a good vignette tool. I usually import my photos into Lightroom at the last stage to put a vignette in, that's how good the vignette tool is in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:50 am 

Shagrath wrote:
Photoshop's RAW conversion isn't as good as Nikon's anyway. Go download ViewNX, then inside there convert your RAW to a .tiff file. Open that .tiff in photoshop and edit away. You'll get better results than if you just opened in photoshop anyway.

By the way, congratulations on the D40. It's a fun camera.

I second that. Lightrooms nikon RAW conversion is inferior to Capture/view NX.

And still I use Lightroom because it IS superior than capture NX :D