Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon's ViewNX question.
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:05 pm 
I love so much the layout and feature and ease of use of Nikon's ViewNX, and it came with my camera. And I use it as my main RAW converting tool. But it's PAINFULLY SLOW!!

It takes roughly 12(twelve) second to finish loading a single 8.5MB photo and when you have 400+ photos to process, it becomes a very hideous task. I don't have the most powerful Macintosh ever build, but it has no performance issue when I run multiple CPU heavy audio programs.

What do you guys use? All I want to do is just to process the RAW files, fix up the white balance, maybe a little sharpening and color saturation. And not spending eternity for it to process.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:53 pm 

I use lightroom, but am not very fond of it's raw conversion. (smudged details among other things).

I switched to Jpeg for the time being, I really disliked Capture NX 2 and still want to use Lightroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:54 pm 
I gave up on RAW and have resorted to shooting in JPEG mode. I'm not that bothered about pixel peeping, so the additional "detail" from RAW doesn't matter much to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:48 am 
I found ViewNX to be quite fast when I used it, I've not used it for ages but I remember it to be one of the best. 12s for a photo is very long though.

I use Lightroom 2, if you have a Mac you might want to give a Aperture a go. They've both got trials available for download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:10 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
I found ViewNX to be quite fast when I used it, I've not used it for ages but I remember it to be one of the best. 12s for a photo is very long though.

I use Lightroom 2, if you have a Mac you might want to give a Aperture a go. They've both got trials available for download.

Hi Grahm, would you mind tell me the spec of your computer? or any "special setting" you have for ViewNX. I really like it's layout and the quality of the results, but the speed is killing me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:33 pm 
Well, just a little update while waiting for ViewNX to finish converting files.(using a different PC). I posted the same question with Nikon's customer service, and their advice was for me to restart my computer and open ViewNX application only. What a response, huh?

I'm seriously considering trying out Aperture since it's easily intergrated into iPhoto. Anyone got that link for that trial download? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for all the help.
Billy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:08 am 

It's probably not optimized for Mac. What specs does your computer have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:34 am 
Shagrath wrote:
It's probably not optimized for Mac. What specs does your computer have?

Thanks for helping out. I love hearing the "optimized for mac" part. That's the reason I started this thread and I'm looking for ways to optimize ViewNX for Mac.

I have a Macbook Pro. Running OS 10.5.6 (Leopard)
Processor 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 3 GB 667 MHz

Got the second response from Nikon Customer Service, this time they apologized and asked me to shoot jpeg instead so it'll load faster!! Another top notch response don't you think?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:47 am 

My point was that maybe they didn't code it to run in Mac as quickly as it does in Windows. If you understood what optimization meant you'd realize that you can't optimize the program yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:54 am 
Shagrath wrote:
My point was that maybe they didn't code it to run in Mac as quickly as it does in Windows. If you understood what optimization meant you'd realize that you can't optimize the program yourself.
Ah....I misread you, thought there might be a some kind preference settings that'll make ViewNX work faster on a Mac....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:56 am 

soundtweakers wrote:
Shagrath wrote:
Ah....I misread you, thought there might be a some kind preference settings that'll make ViewNX work faster on a Mac....

I don't think they would give you the option to make it run slower, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:27 am 

I think I may have found the solution. I did some reading and I think they did something wrong with the new version. I can't find a link to the old version but if you have a backup or feel like searching around try to find it. So, basically, give the old version a try. It should be 1.2.X or something close. 1.2.2 was the previous version for Windows only, there was a 1.2.1 for Mac but the download link has been removed from Nikon's site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:52 pm 
aha, I still have the original software disc that came with the D80. Maybe I should give that a try.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:18 am 
Sorry for the delayed reply, been busy with some stuff.

I've used it on two computers.

The first:

Athlon X2 @ 2.2GHz
1.5GB DDR2 667
Win XP

and the second:

2.4GHz Macbook Pro running 10.5.6
4GB DDR2 667

View NX runs very fast on the XP machine but runs even faster on my MBP (it's a lot newer). My 10mb RAW files open instantaneously and there is no delay when viewing at 100%, unlike Lightroom or Aperture. It's easily the fastest image viewer I've used.

I'm using 1.2.0 because I got it a long time ago and don't ever use it so I was too lazy to download 1.3. :)

EDIT: The MBP is a previous gen Penryn version, it's got the 800MHz FSB.