Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:02 pm 
As a complete newbie to this type of software, which should I go for in terms of editing and organising images?

Does Lightroom have all the image editing capability of PSE or is it more of an organisation tool.

I dont mind the cost of either (I am not really looking at CS4 as this is a little too expensive and I guess may be a bit intimidating for a starter like me!!)

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:26 pm 

Don't forget you can download trial versions from Adobe and try before you buy. I can't give a good comparison of the two as I never got into Lightroom, but I do have Elements 7 and find it to be my 1st stop as an editor.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:27 pm 

It depends on what you need. Lightroom is a photography workshop, optimized for workflow, and with most used settings handy. Photoshop has a lot more, but it also less optimized for photography.

I use Lightroom more than photoshop to be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:21 pm 

Photoshop not for photography? The clue is in the name!

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:50 pm 

popo wrote:

And yet there aren't dogs in dog food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:14 pm 
:) Thank you for sharing information.

Check Pros and Cons
http://www.consumersearch.com/photo-edi ... elements-7

http://www.consumersearch.com/photo-edi ... ightroom-2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:07 am 
How to make with Photoshop person look like a character from the video game? I want to make me and my friend look like characters from the video game like in Left 4 Dead, to change faces of characters of the game with our faces, but I don't know how to do effect that we look like from the video game with Photoshop. Any suggestions, or advices, or useful links?

Last edited by ruthrina on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:42 am 
Citruspers wrote:
popo wrote:

And yet there aren't dogs in dog food.

That reasoning fails on so many levels -.-

Both Photoshop Elements (PSE) and Lightroom are good packages. I've had a go at the Lightroom trial, but I didn't feel that it added enough over PSE to justify the high price tag.

Obviously, this depends on your shooting habits and requirements. I've currently got about 10k photos in my library of "keepers" and PSE has had no problem keeping up with them. Perhaps when my work begins to involve thousands of photos from a single shoot (people like David Sizer take 4000 RAW photos in a single wedding) I'll begin to see the benefit of Lightroom. Until then, PSE is a better alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:43 am 
ruthrina wrote:
How to make with Photoshop person look like a character from the video game? I want to make me and my friend look like characters from the video game like in Left 4 Dead, to change faces of characters of the game with our faces, but I don't know how to do effect that we look like from the video game with Photoshop. Any suggestions, or advices, or useful links?

That involves hacking the game, so you'd be better off asking on a Left 4 Dead forum rather than a generic photography forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:11 am 
Lightroom is more newbiee-friendly, there is a lot in photoshop to learn. The layout and style of lightroom allows quicker adjustments and it is easier to learn for one who has never used both before.

I use Lightroom more often than my photoshop cs3.

Since you are new to this, I recomend geting a bit of experience out of the free programs out there first. Try Gimp as alternative to Photoshop and Raw Therapee as alternative to Lightroom. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. If you become decent in both Gimp and Raw Therapee, these skills you learn on there will transfer to Photosho and Lightroom very fast as they are similar programs meant to do the same thing.

http://www.gimp.org/
http://www.rawtherapee.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:58 pm 
I was going to ask the same thing, and will use the trial version first...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:30 am 
My analogy with Lightroom 2 and Photoshop (including PSE) for processing RAW files:

Photoshop is a very sharp knife, Lightroom is a surgeon's scalpel.

I use both for different reasons.

Just a thought.

Ray