Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:07 pm 
Hey everyone,

Last night I downloaded the Photoshop 4 trial to try it out and see how much difference a photo editing program makes to ones work...

Anyways, what is the best way to learn how to use it? I'm still at school, so the internet is to slow to watch youtube, or other videos... but I will be home in a few days and will hopefully get to learn how to use it more then.

Cheers.

Also, if you have your own tips/techniques those would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:27 am 

Hi Eric,

If you are looking for a book you could do a lot worse than Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers (ISBN-10: 02405212500). It's currently available from our affiliate store Amazon for about £20/$33. It covers everything from Bridge, Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop itself through to the niceties of colour management and printing and comes with a DVD which includes photos you can practice on as well as some instructional videos. At 704 pages it covers a lot but even the author admits that a further book, Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers: The Ultimate Workshop (ISBN-10: 0240811186), is needed for the really advanced stuff.

Hey, thanks. I've just noticed that The Ultimate Workshop was published a few days ago so I've just ordered it. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:43 pm 

pixel2life.com, great tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:15 pm 
Thanks!

I didn't really want to buy a book when I could probably find all the tutorials that I wanted to know on google...

Also, now that I have a photo editor, I can finally shoot in RAW!

Does RAW give you better picture quality after post-processing? Or is it just more forgiving if you want to change WB, get rid of ISO, fix exposure, etc.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:09 am 
RAWs give you slightly better image quality, though this is only obvious once you've done some severe editing or if you view the image at 100%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:44 am 

EricD wrote:
...I didn't really want to buy a book when I could probably find all the tutorials that I wanted to know on google...

I used to think the same but not any more. :?

But if you want an online source check out Adobe's own resource.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:16 pm 

pgtips wrote:
RAWs give you slightly better image quality, though this is only obvious once you've done some severe editing or if you view the image at 100%.

Raw gives you ~one stop of exposure compensation both ways, and more control over your image when after-editing. It has nothing to do with ISO though ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:09 pm 

Hi Eric,

I fear you've taken your own thread off-topic here. There are plenty of conversations about the benefits and drawbacks of RAW vs. JPEG elsewhere on the forum.

Did you really want to do this or would you rather the thread stayed with the original topic of how best to learn to use Photoshop?

Bob.

P.S. I've moved this discussion over to the Imaging and Video Editing Software section.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:11 pm 
Citruspers wrote:
Raw gives you ~one stop of exposure compensation both ways, and more control over your image when after-editing. It has nothing to do with ISO though ;)

To be pedantic, it does help if you take high ISO shots as RAW and then process them on the computer instead of taking them as in-camera JPEGs. Noise reduction and interpolation are very compute intensive, and your computer is going to have 100x more processing power than your camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:34 pm 

pgtips wrote:
Citruspers wrote:

To be pedantic, it does help if you take high ISO shots as RAW and then process them on the computer instead of taking them as in-camera JPEGs. Noise reduction and interpolation are very compute intensive, and your computer is going to have 100x more processing power than your camera.

Ah, good one. Not to mention that noise reduction software will have more data to work with if you supply a RAW file.