Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:48 pm 

I know my current workflow isn't the best, but I'm lacking in ideas on how to improve it. It worked fine so far but it is limiting and I think an update would be easier sooner rather than later as I have just under 54k jpegs and 8k raws! I really should be more aggressive in my deleting of marginal shots...

Anyway, this is a description of my current setup.

I manually move images using a USB card reader into a folder for each camera. First level directory is for subject, be it by location, subject type or shot type as best describes the session. Next level down is a numbered folder for each occasion. Optionally I'll have a subfolder for holding the raws separately.

My main browser is Google's Picasa. I use this in tree view to navigate around the images, which I also find easy to delete from. From there, I can open the images in editors. The main two I use are Photoshop Elements 7 and Paint Shop Pro 7.

Elements is used for general quick fixes, as I find it does a great job at shadow/highlight processing and sharpening. PSP7 is only bought out if I have to directly edit the image beyond minor cloning. It's old, but it's what I've known for years so I can use it easily in that manner. Edited files get saved separately from the original. Actually, they're dumped unsorted into a folder called "edits".

The weakness of this arrangement is that as the folders grow, I'm finding it slower to navigate around them or find specific images. Also, Picasa is really slow at loading raws which can't be helping my perception of them. Elements 7 does have an organiser included but I've not really tried it. Does anyone use it and would like to comment? Or should I be looking at something like Lightroom? I really should try the demo some time... I think I should be using keyword tagging to help with the sorting.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:56 pm 

I create folders according to shot date. I find it easier to find pictures I shot because I can just go through the days of shooting rather than some arbitrary subject type label. "Landscape" or "Family" could include several types of photos. I've attached an image to show how my directory is setup.

My dates are European style (which makes a hell of a lot more sense to me) YYYY-MM-DD.

About Lightroom, I don't see the point. It just doesn't feel organized to me, so I just keep my folders organized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:03 pm 

I like the YYYYMMDD format too, as computers can sort it easily. But not for this application. Dates would be hell for me. For example if I want shots at a local park, I can go there first then in order of visiting. By date means it'll be mixed in with everything. But even this is getting big and harder to manage as time goes on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:17 pm 

popo wrote:
I like the YYYYMMDD format too, as computers can sort it easily. But not for this application. Dates would be hell for me. For example if I want shots at a local park, I can go there first then in order of visiting. By date means it'll be mixed in with everything. But even this is getting big and harder to manage as time goes on.

Maybe "Park" then inside the folders by date shot? What we need is a tagging system. You know how flickr works? It would be cool if we could add tags to files on our computer and then tell it to search within a folder for tagged items.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:25 pm 

I never got on with flickr so actually I don't know... Lightroom seems to have keywords you can add. Looking at Picasa again, it allows tags so maybe I could do something there. I'm still looking at Lightroom and if it might suit me going ahead but I'm not so sure about the price tag for what I've seen so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:04 am 

popo wrote:
I never got on with flickr so actually I don't know... Lightroom seems to have keywords you can add. Looking at Picasa again, it allows tags so maybe I could do something there. I'm still looking at Lightroom and if it might suit me going ahead but I'm not so sure about the price tag for what I've seen so far.

See how the tagging system works in picasa first. It might work out for you. But basically you can add search terms to pictures. When you search for a term it will bring up all photos that contain that tag. Sorting becomes irrelevant if you can just search for photos tagged a certain way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:15 am 

Lightroom. Simple.

1) Import in whatever date format.

2) Tag them with keywords.

3) Pick the best by Flagging, Ratings, Colour Coding

4) All items searchable by flag, colour codes, keywords, metadata/exif data.

Its a great system although they are missing one "option" which would be to show all "edited" images.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:10 pm 

DD_nVidia wrote:
Lightroom. Simple.

1) Import in whatever date format.

2) Tag them with keywords.

3) Pick the best by Flagging, Ratings, Colour Coding

4) All items searchable by flag, colour codes, keywords, metadata/exif data.

Its a great system although they are missing one "option" which would be to show all "edited" images.

Exactly, check out Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2. Adobe has a free 30 day trial you can use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:48 am 
I have been using Aperture now for about a month and love it. I thought iPhoto was cool, Aperture just blows it out of the water. If you're a Mac user, and are thinking about Lightroom, download the free trial of Aperture. The two are suposivly very similar.

File management is extremely easy with Aperture. On import, you have complete control over the name and destination of your images. You can sort virtually any way you wish, and can change by renaming anytime. Aperture also lets you conviently in one step name the actual folders whatever you wish on your computer. That way, Aperture is simply referencing them only, and you maintain whichever file structure you like automatically. It's so easy. As far as pure management tools are considered, IMHO, Aperture and Lightroom can't be beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:23 am 
Another Aperture user here but for people on PC I would seriously recommend checking out Lightroom 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:20 pm 

From my little playing with Lightroom 2 so far I'm not convinced on its value. It seems like an overpriced front end for ACR.

Aperture is out until some basic OS omissions are resolved and untied from overhyped hardware. I don't see satan buying winter wear any time soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:03 pm 

popo wrote:
From my little playing with Lightroom 2 so far I'm not convinced on its value. It seems like an overpriced front end for ACR.

Aperture is out until some basic OS omissions are resolved and untied from overhyped hardware. I don't see satan buying winter wear any time soon.

Play with it some more, once you get a feeling for the program you will love it's flow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:34 pm 
popo wrote:

Honestly, LR is far more capable than you're giving it credit for. You mentioned in your original post...
Quote:
The weakness of this arrangement is that as the folders grow, I'm finding it slower to navigate around them or find specific images.

This is *exactly* what Lightroom (and Aperture) were built for; the ability to search on ANY of your photos exif & meta data. Throw in some intelligent keywording on your part and you'll never lose a photo again.