Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:35 pm 
I'm currently a PC user, but am thinking of switching to the new iMac.

My question is if Apple's iPhoto '08, that comes with the iMac, supports Nikon's NEF file type.

Post subject: Yes on NEF support
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:21 pm 
Yes I am using iPhoto08 and Nikon NEF (raw).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:01 am 
Hi luis,

If you're moving to a Mac (welcome :D ), I'd highly recommend checking out the trial version of Aperture as well. iPhoto is good but Aperture offers a lot more simple post-processing features that you might like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:52 pm 
Thank you, new2mac and TelexStar. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:07 am 
i am a mac user as well i was wondering if iphoto supports RAW Does anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:46 am 
Mac OSX is what supports RAW files, however different cameras have different RAW files. I would also recommend Aperture 2.0 with your purchase due to it came out a few days ago and its Apple's pro photo editing program

This is a list of all the camera RAW that a mac will support in Aperture, Iphoto or just onto the computer

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:30 am 
What is also on the shelves..... Photoshop Elements 6 for both Mac and the other one....... I have heard good reports about this program, but yet to check it out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:00 pm 
i am currently running CS2

Apple Aperture 2.0 VS Adobe Lightroom
All i've used is CS2 so whats diff between these two and CS2?
and what is the easiest to learn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:15 am 
CS2 is something that changes the photos by adding or removing to them, Lightroom and Aperture just change the basic parts of the picture such as saturation and etc...

You might want Lightroom because you already have CS2, but the possibilities of a mac with Aperture are better, so Stick with adobe for PC and Aperture for Mac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:13 pm 
Indeed. In the case of Aperture (not sure if it's the same with Lightroom), it's designed so that, if you want to, you can work in conjunction with an external editor like Photoshop (use Aperture for most of your standard edits and then just use CS2 or something for the really advanced stuff)

If you use it in this way though I don't believe that Photoshop is allowed to access the RAW file. Certainly if you've set Aperture to manage your image files (they're stored inside the Aperture database library). Basically, Aperture looks after the RAW file and if you want to open up an image in an external editor like Photoshop, Aperture creates a .tiff or .psd version (your choice) and opens that in CS2.

You can set Aperture to work using what's called "referenced masters", which means that the images are kept externally from the Aperture database. You could then use CS2 as you would normally, while still using aperture to handle the keywording/cataloging of your photos although I've never personally tried this.