Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:28 pm 
I am considering buying one of those digital background sets off ebay and I do have photoshop but was wondering if anyone else here had done that and what the results were (or is it a waste of time $$)

Thanks for any input and I would love to see some before and afters if anyone has them on their pc to share one or two using this method.

Bill :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:30 am 
42 views zero replies?
Has anyone tried a digital background out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:37 am 

What exactly is a digital background?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:44 pm 
There are tons of them on the net ebay (cds full of digital backgrounds for sale).

I do not know any of the sellers nor am i endorsing any of them in anyway but as an example here is one guy that shows the basics taking a pic against a white wall or sheet and then using photoshop to work in a "digital backdrop" (which apparently he teaches you to make as well) for a nice final picture effect.

http://www.digital-background.net

In concept sounds COOL, and since I have no backdrops at all (and each is $50 plus per backdrop) I was just curious if it can really be done well (maybe alot depends on your photoshop skills too).

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:34 pm 

Hi Bill,

Photoshop is all you need so I suggest you use the money to get yourself a good book about Photoshop. One example: I'm currently working my way through "Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers" (ISBN-10: 0240521250) and it contains lots of tips on how to extract images and add backgrounds, be they gradient fills or other images. :idea:

If you don't have CS4 then there are books in the same series devoted to previous versions.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:54 pm 
I have more time than money, and not much of either... :shock:

Photoshop has been my 'backdrop' for years... once you learn the basics and take your time you can do about anything.

Here's a good link to help gets started anyway:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photos ... 5agirl.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:36 pm 

Just learn how to brush. You can find tons of soft brushes for free online and emulate those backdrops. One of my favorite soft brushes is called "stalemateisgod" you can use them to create a "cloudy" effect. I wouldn't pay for backdrops because they aren't that complicated to make from the looks of it.