Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:30 pm 
Hello,
I need a software. Preferable freeware or at least not very expensive.

What i have is like 100 images of a person. Taken at the same place with a few days in between.

As you can figure, the position of this person isnt exactly the same on every picture, and if i'd like to to a timelapse-movie i need to reposition this person so that the eyes and maybe nose is exactly at the same place.

Can photoshop do this? Or do i need another software? If so, what software?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:35 pm 

you could try dragging the photos into windows movie maker. This will, very crudly, make a timelapse. Thats about all I can suggest unfortunately

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:55 pm 
Hi Khol,

I'm not sure that one such piece of software exists. Let's say you can define the exact center of the eyes - you want it to appear on the exact same X,Y coordinate on the canvas.

The challenge is for any piece of software to find the same "anchor" to reposition the images on the canvas from.

The only "software-realm" where I think such a feature might exist, would be software used in the movie-industry. Some specialized special-effects type of stuff, but I am not aware of what that might be.

Good luck with your project!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:40 pm 
Thanks for your input guys.

The project is actually a progress-thing where my wife gets more and more pregnant. Well, not more pregnant, but bigger and bigger :)

And i took pictures at the same spot almost every day and it would be very nice to do a movie where i add all those images to the timeline with a relative slow dissolve between all images.

Therefor it would be most appreciable if all images have the same centerpoint and tilt. Her bellybutton + left eye or something.

It doesnt matter if the result in some images would be that there is empty background at the top or bottom as im going to do a little bit of zoom in the movie anyway.

I thought for a second that CS3 was able to help out with this, but i've tried the different photomerge-functions without any luck.

Then i figured that some astro-photographers usually takes a lot of images and then (as they say) "stack the images". Im not sure how that stacking is performed, but i would be surpriced if all images are manually fitted. My guess is that there is some kind of automatic function that recognise similiarities in the images and position them ontop of one another.

/K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:56 am 
Hi Khol,

there are certainly software that can "stack" (or rather, align) shots on top of each other. All the HDR-software does that..well the ones I've played with. The problem is that the intendto merge them all into one image, so the "alignment" function isn't all that helpful of you want them onto a time-line in either a movie-editor or a slide-show program.

I wonder if a real morphing-program might be able to "compensate" somewhat for the less-than-100%-perfect-alignment.

The morphing programs usually works, based on "key-frames" and then auto-generate X number of frames between them, thus creating the illusion of a completely seamless transition.

Perhaps one of those might be worth trying? Examples are:
- Morph Man 4
- E.M. Magic Morph 1.95b
- Zeallsoft Fun Morph 3.0
- Sqirlz Morph 1.8

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:23 am 
Site Admin

Hi Khol, I'm pretty sure Photoshop Extended edition can do this - not sure exactly how it works, but if it's with multiple layers, then you could manually drag each layer until they line up, then let it create the timelapse move.

Actually, thinking about it, you could do it like that in normal Photoshop - put them all on top of each other in PS as seperate layers, and use the opacity slider to manually line each of them up. Then do a single crop at the end which would basically trim them all.

Then if necessary you could export each layer as a frame for your time lapse software.

If you want automatic motion tracking though, you're in the realm of special effects software as LahLahSr says