Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:00 pm 
Hello,
I've recognize some issue with exif informations.
I use canon 400D and the Digital proto professional 3.4.

When I taky picture directly to JPG, I can see in exit information about LENS NAME (for example "EF50mm f/1.8").

When I do the same but capturing to RAW, it's getting little bit different.
In RAW the information about LENS NAME is still there. Than when I convert RAW to JPG using DPP software information about lens is gone. I think it is important to have option to find out with wich lens was any picture done. Did anybody of you recognize this issue? Or does it to anybody? Is there any chance to avoid it :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:30 pm 
This is something you can set in the program normally. When I save the image in Adobe photoshop, if I use the 'save for web' option, it strips the exif info. If I save normally it keeps the exif data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:44 pm 

Hi bazminator,

May I offer you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

Well, while Gregory wants to discuss Photoshop :P I'll stick to the brief. I've just opened a RAW file in DPP and checked that the lens info was present. I then used the "Convert & Save" function to convert to an Exif-JPEG and then open the JPEG in DPP and the lens name is still present. But if I open either the original RAW or the JPEG in a third party program such as IrfanView the lens name isn't shown which leads me to suspect that this is encoded in manufacturer specific data.

The only differences with my setup here are that I use a 40D (but the EXIF data should be encoded the same way) and that I use the latest version of DPP (3.5.1.0 for Windows). I'm not aware that the problem you describe was an issue with 3.4 and fixed with 3.5 but you may want to visit your Canon site and check and download the upgrade. If you do then upgrade all the apps, such as EOS Utility etc., to maintain interoperability.

Please let us know how you get on.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:23 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi bazminator,

May I offer you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

Well, while Gregory wants to discuss Photoshop :P I'll stick to the brief. I've just opened a RAW file in DPP and checked that the lens info was present. I then used the "Convert & Save" function to convert to an Exif-JPEG and then open the JPEG in DPP and the lens name is still present. But if I open either the original RAW or the JPEG in a third party program such as IrfanView the lens name isn't shown which leads me to suspect that this is encoded in manufacturer specific data.

The only differences with my setup here are that I use a 40D (but the EXIF data should be encoded the same way) and that I use the latest version of DPP (3.5.1.0 for Windows). I'm not aware that the problem you describe was an issue with 3.4 and fixed with 3.5 but you may want to visit your Canon site and check and download the upgrade. If you do then upgrade all the apps, such as EOS Utility etc., to maintain interoperability.

Please let us know how you get on.

Bob.

Lol :P I haven't heard of DPP :lol: I assumed it was some irfan view type of freebie app.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:37 pm 
version 3.5.1 is new information for me. I have didn't find it at first. Nice to see some improvement compared to 3.4....
I don't know how, but it works now
:!: There is much more information in exif. Thank you very much.
See the differenc:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:48 pm 

Hi bazminator,

Great news. Please don't be a stranger to us now that your question is resolved. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:16 pm 
Yeah
i like this forum so there is no need to be stranger at all.
Thanks for warm invitation I'll stay here :wink:

Have a nice Xmas