Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:57 pm 
Hi to all! :)

I've been using Capture NX2 for a couple of weeks - and really want to keep on that path - but I'm having so much problem with it. I've tried to find help in french forums (my first langage), but I don't understand why I seem to be the only one having problems.

I have an Intel Pentium D 2.66 Ghz and 3.2 active Go of RAM.

The problem : the apps is very slow, mostly when it's time to save (sometimes have to wait for a very long amount of time). It seems so demanding, I can't beleive it. Never had any problem with Photoshop, for instance.

When I open two files at the same time and that I want to bring the rear one to the first level, the apps freezes for about 20 seconds. After that, with the same files/same session, it's all right bringing one or the other to the first level.

This slowlyness annoys me sooooooooo bad. I have a lot of files to work on and it's impossible to go on that way.

What I've tried :

- Tried the apps on my other hard drive/Windows and it reacts the same.

Found these on the Web, tried all this but didn't change anything.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Boost your NX performance by adjusting windows performance settings as below;

Go:

Control Panel > System
Advanced
Peformance (click settings*)
Advanced
Set MEMORY USAGE to system cache

---------------------------------------------------------------

Nikon emailed me what they thought the problem was, and indeed it was. Data Execution Prevention was turned on and that was the problem. Here is the text of the email...
Hi Jack,

Thank you for contacting Nikon Technical Support. The issue you have describe sounds like it is a conflict with a feature in windows called DEP. Please follow the instructions bellow on how to disable DEP.

1 - Open the System Properties window (Right-click My Computer > Properties)

2 - Go to the Advanced tab and the Performance settings* button.

3 - Go to the Data Execution Prevention tab.

4 - Select "Turn on DEP for all programs and service except those I select:", then click the Add button.

5 - Add Capture NX.exe (C:\Program Files\Nikon\Capture NX)

6 - Both programs should now be checked on the list, click APPLY and OK, then restart the system and try the software again.

Thank you for contacting Nikon.

---------------------------------------------------------------

1) Turn off in-camera NR if you can while shooting, and then apply NR later as needed. The initial NR step slows down initial image rendering.

2) Make sure you have 2GB of RAM in your PC.

3) Set the cache limit to 9 files or less.

4) Put your image cache directory on a secondary HDD

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Found this and tried what's written, didn't change anything.
http://www.nx101.com/whyslow.html

Desactivate the noise reduction helps, but I still find it is way too slooooooooooow and fragile (will freeze easily).

I'm getting desparate... I really want to work with it but I'm beginning to wonder if I'll find a solution. Change of computer?

Some people have less powerfull computer than mine and they say they don't have problem, why would I be the only one having problems?

Thanks a lot!

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:51 am 
Yeah, im running a P4 2.66ghz with 1gb ram and I also find NX2 a bit slugging compared to photoshop. I only use NX2 to convert my NEF files to jpeg in a batch process if I want something converted that I won't be processing. A dual core PC would handle this program much better I'm sure. You just need to be a bit more patient, open 1 file at a time, etc. Either that or upgrade your processor/motherboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:59 am 
CNX2 is the fastest photo editing app I've run on my 2.4ghz P8400 (Mac). However, I've tried it on a PC and while a little slow certainly not as sluggish as you described.

Did the method Nikon give you help at all? Even a little bit?

Perhaps go into Task Manager and find out which resource CNX2 is stressing out. If you find the component in your system that is causing the bottleneck it should help you towards finding your solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:55 am 
I take it you don't use photoshop. Photoshop blows NX2 out of the water for being efficient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:28 am 
I've used photoshop and it is definitely (for me on my own hardware) not as fast. I'm not sure why as most people find it to be the opposite but that's just how it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:21 am 
just how it is for you :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:14 am 
Yup