Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:03 pm 

Regarding panorama stitching
Just playing with the photomerge option in PS to create some panos.
PS does some phantastic work but still:
- how do I tell PS to eliminate brightness differences at the stiching borders - or across all the layers?
- sometimes I get a very fine white line where two layers are stitched. How can I eliminate this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:37 pm 

I had the small white lines before when resizing. I found that I had to merge all layers before resizing to keep them away. It seems like the accuracy when resizing multiple layers is not good enough resulting in those lines.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:06 pm 

With all my horizontal panos so far there was only the problem of slightly different brightness. I went for adjusting brightness with additional corrective layers for each piece of the pano. But that was tedious work. And some times,when the brightness in the sky was a match, the brightness on the ground was not ideally matched. Any ideas on how to correct that or make PS match brightness by itself?

The small white lines between stiched images showed up with a vertically stacked pano of a large tree. It was at every stitch and across the whole width of the stitch. As PS makes some geometric distortion for each patch of the pano that might be some kind of "residue" from the distortion. As all patches overlap the white line is not really a gap between the patches but some white pixels creeping into the process of stitching. Not sure whether I can cut those away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:46 pm 

40 minutes later...
Ah, it seems the option for correcting geometric distortion caused the fine lines. I did the same merge for vertical pano without selecting this option and everything looks a-ok :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:09 pm 

Hi Thomas,

I've never tried it (still have CS2) but maybe this tutorial will be of help? :?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:11 pm 

Another 25 minutes later...
I also redid a large horizontal pano with everything selected as standard in photomerge (esp. with distortion- and vignetting-correction NOT selected) and the different brightness at the stiching lines was gone.
Bravo PS!

Btw. The automatic pano from 6x12MPix RAW files took 100 seconds on my machine. If you think that PS has to arrange the images in proper order, match the borders pixel-by-pixel, do some nasty geometric transformations and match the exposure, 100 secs is ok with me. The resulting tiff with all layers and zip compression is 159MB large. Cropped and cooked down to jpg at high (not highest) quality this is a 6,3MB file 15128 pixels wide and 3987 pixels high. That makes for a 60MPix image :shock: Woohoo :twisted: Looky here (Yay, flickr displays 15128 pixel wide images :D ).
Unfortunately the jpg will not open in Lightroom V1.4 only in LR2 :?

Bob: Will have a look, thanks.

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:26 pm 

Well with the next merge brightness adaptation did not work:
You can clearly see the patches. Funny thing is that some were merged with perfect brightness-alignment, others just stand out like a sore thumb although I didn't do anything different from the last time :?
Also funny: there is some message from PS4 when the merge is done that annouces to merge the layers now seamlessly. This message was missing from this merge-run. Perhaps it's an error with panos that are too large (this one had to merge 11 images for a full 360° pano).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:29 pm 

Another hour later...
Aha: You have to choose Edit > Auto-Blend Layers again to make a smooth pano. Worked excellent apart from one single obvious glitch:
As I was shooting on aperture priority the exposure of the shot into the wood (right third) was clearly exposed brigther than the shot of the open segment (left part). So PS selected the tree and started the brighter patch to the right of it. But remember: this is a 11 patch pano (!) and only one glitch is quite an achievement!
It would have obviously helped if I had fixed the exposure for the complete 360° pano.

So almost everything looks fine and dandy now for horizontal and vertical panos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:05 pm 

It seems that if you start merging images from LR2 or Bridge (the image database of CS) you get the merge plus auto-blendof PS in one run.
If you just start photomerge from within PS CS4 it just merges, but you have to run autoblend after the merge for yourself.
So here's another lesson learnt 8)

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:06 pm 

Now onto another topic:
Regarding merge of images with different focal planes:
Another intersting feature of PS CS4 is the ability to merge different lo dof photos of the same scene into one higher dof photo.
But the first effort didn't go well: after choosing Edit > Auto-Blend Layers with the option "Stack Images" selected of my 4 layers with different focal planes still only one is selected prominently and the other layers were suppressed.
Wonder what went wrong!?