Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Corrupt jpg :(
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:14 am 

Hi guys. I am wondering if there are any way to repair corrupted jpg files? It has affect 80% of the jpg in my folder.Basically, I copied the photos from my HD (which were fine) to my portable lacie HD. Then I burnt the photos from the lacie on DVD from my laptop and now there are a whole bunch of corrupted jpgs.

Is there a way to fix this? Or prevent it from ever EVER happening again?

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:23 am 

Hi quanger,

I' not sure how you'd prevent it from happening again as it shouldn't, in my view, have happened at all. But if in doubt then check the integrity of the copies before deleting the originals.

One tool that seems to produce results is PhotoRescue. I've never used it but as there is a free trial version it costs nothing to try and only a modest amount to buy.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:26 am 
In what way are they corrupted? And are you talking about the copies on DVD? And did you delete the ones on both hard disks or do you still have working copies? And did you check they were all right when you had copied them to the external HD? And with which software did you burn them? Did you receive any errors?

We need much more information in order to give relevant advise. We know only what you tell us.

In case you don't have uncorrupted copies of the files you may be able to undelete them on either hard disks or even the memory card they came from provided the freed up space hasn't been overwritten yet.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:31 am 
And as a general rule you should NEVER have only one copy of your photos. I only delete photos from my memory card after I have copies of these photos on at least two separate hard disk. I'd advise anyone to do the same.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:34 pm 

I shouldve been more careful. Basically the images have weird vertical and horizontal lines through it. It is pretty useless now. Basically I burn the images onto DVD and reformmated the PC beause it had a virus. Next time I will be sure you back it up in two different HD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:41 pm 
Same thing happened to me once :(
On vacation, uploaded my photos to a mac. When i got home, i copied them to my PC, imported to LR and them 20% was corrupt.
Don't know if there's any way to save them. Sorry