Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Manfrotto 785B
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:48 pm 

Hey guys,

I bought my first tripod today.

I bought a Manfrotto 785B. It is an excellent quality tripod.
Although that it states this tripod is not suitable for DSLR cameras it does the job great!!
I cannot for the life of me figure out why they say this is unsuitable for a DSLR?? I am using my Sony A200 on it and its perfect!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:48 pm 

I just received a 785B as a gift. I haven't tested it 'in the field' yet, but it seems stable enough with my kit.

Quote:
This MODO tripod is designed to be used for both digital and video cameras due to its unique hybrid ball head.

I've been through the details and instructions again and can't see anything that says it's unsuitable for DSLRs.

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM, Canon EF 35-80mm 4-5.6 III, Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM, Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:11 pm 

BOF wrote:
I just received a 785B as a gift. I haven't tested it 'in the field' yet, but it seems stable enough with my kit.

I've been through the details and instructions again and can't see anything that says it's unsuitable for DSLRs.

It states this on the tag attached to the tripod and also on the box. I think its due to its maximum load weight being 1kg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:42 pm 

its a good enough tripod with a compact dslr if u just have a light lens, i was looking at getting the Manfrotto 725B which can hold up to 3.5kg and is a similar size, i just need to check if you can tilt the camera 90 degrees for portraits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:19 pm 

I have the 785B and was very happy with it (it's nice and light). Until I bought a 70-300mm lens for my camera. It wasn't able to hold the position I would lock in because there was so much weight at the front of the camera. The camera would shift and move even when I really locked it down. I've had to upgrade to a Manfrotto 190CX with a 488RC2 Midi Ball Head. It was expensive, but when I am using the long lens it makes a huge difference. Stick with the 785B, but if you are thinking about a long lens you will most likely have to get something more substantial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:26 pm 

Thanks, nathplummer - and my apologies. You're quite right - there is the maximum weight limit on the label and on the box. I'm grateful to you for the heads-up!

This was bought for me at Jessops in the UK - it's going back with my daughter in the hope that we can exchange it or get a refund. Jessops were a bit naughty - my camera kit was outlined to them but they still recommended the 785B!

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM, Canon EF 35-80mm 4-5.6 III, Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM, Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC