Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Height of a tripod?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:54 pm 
I am looking into buying a tripod to use with my DSLR Sony A300, however, I am uncertain at what height I should be looking for. I am about 1.75m and my husband is 1.83, and I have heard that a tripod should be between waist and bust height, is that right? Would a tripod with a maximum height of 1.66m be ok or too much? It weighs one and a half kilos and folds down to 64cm...any advice? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:46 am 
I don't have much experience with tripods but I think you should look at the maximum height without the centre column raised in addition to the absolute maximum height. This is because tripods loose stability with the centre column raised.

Post subject: Re: Height of a tripod?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:21 am 

jpaulaotorres wrote:
I am looking into buying a tripod to use with my DSLR Sony A300, however, I am uncertain at what height I should be looking for. I am about 1.75m and my husband is 1.83, and I have heard that a tripod should be between waist and bust height, is that right? Would a tripod with a maximum height of 1.66m be ok or too much? It weighs one and a half kilos and folds down to 64cm...any advice? Thanks

I highly suggest trying out models in store, and to buy quality products like gitzo and manfrotto, you dont want your $1000+ camera to die because you cheaped out and got a $20 tripod. Also remember that the a300 has LV so it doesn't have to be quite as tall. Plus, the height of the head, and the camera itself up to the VF help in terms of height.