Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Looking to buy a tripod
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:41 pm 
Looking to buy a tripod and considering a Manfrotto, my camera is a Canon 400D weghing in at 510g and the heaviest lens is my 70-300 IS USM DO at 720g total weight 1230g, will want it to move horizontally and vertically with ease and not fall over in the process.
So, Gordon, Thomas what tripod and what head do I need and one other consideration it will not have to break the bank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:37 am 
Site Admin

Hi Roy, it depends how heavy a tripod you want.

I went for the basic Manfrotto 190 for general purpose work. It's a basic set of 'legs', but they're sturdy and well-built, and of course you can of 'upgrade' by fitting different types of heads. The only thing I really miss on this model is a 'winch' to raise or lower the column in precise steps. With this, you just untighten the screw and push or pull the column.

The original head I bought ended up infurating me, so I upgraded to a 460MG magnesium alloy model. It's a really good general purpose head and very light. I'd recommend it for general basic use.

I've used this very setup with the 400D and the 70-300 DO and it's been fine, although Thomas will try and twist your arm into something a bit sturdier...! I guess it depends if you intend to carry it by hand most of the time, or in a vehicle.

The choice of head is where you can really start having fun, weighing up ball joint models against fixed axes...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:32 am 

Buying tripods is really where the "feeling" plays a big role (although I bought mine without ever touching one :wink: ).
Go to a shop and let them mount the object of your desire with some decently heavy gear (plus a flash on top :!: ) - and see wether you trust this thing not to topple over when you use the center column horizontally :shock: (which cannot be done with the 190 but is invaluable for top-down macro shots :!: )
You have some valuable gear, so your tripod is better up to the task!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:12 pm 
I have a few questions and I thought instead of starting a new topic ill just continue this one.

I am looking at buying a tripod for when I get a camera, and I was looking around on price grabber and it was saying that some of the heads and tripods can only take 2kg like???? How can it only take 2kg but anyway. I think I prob get one of those ones that can take like 6kg. There not too expensive and I can always put something on it to weigh it down but the question I think I dunno about the most is a head where you use handles or a ball head. What I like about the ball head is that I can move it around with my eye is the viewfinder so things moving and stuff but are they good for when you just want the camera to do a long exposure of like the stats moving so like a 20min exposure and when you have the camera pointing down at a flower or something. I will most likely get a gorilla tripod as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:21 pm 

Thomas, my 190 allows the central column to be mounted horizontally. As long as you place the legs correctly in relation to the horizontal column stability is pretty good, imo.

Zorro

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:43 pm 

Oh yes, Zorro, You're right: The 190 pro model allows the center column to be used horizontally!