Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:46 pm 

I need a better tripod, and found a good deal on a pistol grip handle one. I was wondering if the pistol grip is a good option and is very convenient to use. I can tell you from experience, the standard cheapo ones which require you to set multiple levers are inconvenient and slow. Does anyone know if the pistol grip compares with a ball head in flexibility and ease of use?

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:53 pm 

It's supposedly ideal, provided you have a small camera. By that I mean things like a D3100, 500D with the kitlenses etc.

I wouldn't dare screw my D2H into one of them, the weight of the camera alone will probably break the thing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:13 am 

I like a regular old ball head better then a pistol grip. But its really all personal preference.. one thing to consider is they are quite large compared to a regular head if size is important to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:40 am 

Pistol grips - I've just thought of them as being 'trendy' really.

Regular ball head is slow? What are you trying to take photos of? Maybe a monopod and increased ISO would be more beneficial?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:45 pm 

I've used a pistol grip head once and quite liked it. However it is a lot harder to level the shot so I ended up having to adjust most of my photos later on the computer. Personally the only things I use a tripod for is landscapes and some portrait work. Both of these require absolutely perfect leveling so a normal three way head is always going to be the best.

However if you are in a rush but still want the stability of a tripod a pistol grip is definitely a good way to go.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin