Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:40 am 

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through this forum and have also read Gordon's reviews on the Manfrotto tripods.

I am looking for a tripod that I can take on my holidays which obviously needs to be be light weight and carbon fibre looks like the way to go.

I currently have a D90 with the 18-105mm VR with a view to also getting the 70-300MM VR lens. I have decided that I will buy a Manfrotto lens for their well-known build.

This will be my first tripod and I'm looking at buying the 055CXPRO3 (only thanks to a bonus I've received from work). Is this tripod too far "advanced" for a beginner photographer or is it well worth the investment?

I've also read about the 055CXPRO4. Is there any reason to buy the PRO4 over the PRO3? It will mainly be for architecture and landscape photography.

My final question is what head would be best for what I want to to? My preference is one with a quick release. Does it need to have a pan/tilt option?

Thanks,

Nikon D90 | 18-105 VR | Nikon 35mm f1.8G

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jazdhillon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:08 am 
Site Admin

Hi jzzdhillon, I'd say the 055 series is overkill unless you have a very heavy camera and lens, or unless you're very tall. Since your current equipment is mid-weight and you're after a lighter solution, I'd go for the smaller 190 series. The carbon fibre version is lovely - the 190CXPRO3.

As for the numbers 3 and 4, that refers to the number of leg sections. The more sections, the shorter it'll fold up, but the less stable it'll be when extended. I'd always go for 3 for stability, unless its folded size is too big.

Check my 190CXPRO3 review for dimensions.

As for a head, will you be using it for video or just stills? Will you be panning with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:25 am 

Thanks for your reply Gordon.

I did start off looking at the 190cxpro3 version. I will revisit that option, I'll save a few dollars so that's a bonus. I am 176cm tall so reading the dimensions, it doesn't sound like it'll be a problem for my height.

The tripod will be for stills only and will not really be panning so probably don't need that option. So what heads, with quick release, would you recommend for the equipment I have and the 190cxpro3?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:11 am 
Site Admin

Weeeell, I really like the 460MG if you want a traditional 3-axis head that's really light.

Or you might prefer a 322RC2 grip ball head - or one of its successors if you like the idea of adjusting multiple axes in one go.

I'd really recommend trying some in a store if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:19 am 

While looking on Amazon for the cost of the 190cxpro3, I came across the 498RC2 and 496RC2 heads. Do you have any experience/views on these heads?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:17 am 
Site Admin

Sorry, I've not tried either of them, but most Manfrotto heads are pretty good.

If you really want to treat yourself, consider the next step-up beyond Manfrotto and Gitzo by going for a ball head by Markins, Arca Swiss or Really Right Stuff. They're all expensive, but beautiful pieces of engineering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:57 pm 

Well, I popped into my local camera store today and tried out the 190 series tripods. After much consideration, I bought the 190XB tripod with the 804RC2 head. The cost was a major factor in my decision. I found the 190XB tripod lightweight enough even with the head attached and the height was perfect for my own height.

I'm going to try it out in the next few days but I'm satisfied with my purchase. It's the first time I've owned a tripod and was looking any hints/tips to enable me to use it more effectively. The only one I know of is to turn off the VR function. I will use it mainly for landscape and night photography. My other question is if I need a remote shutter release for my D90 when using it on the tripod or is the self timer option sufficient?

I'm now deciding whether to get the 70-300mm VR lens or trade in my 18-105mm kit lens for a 18-200mm VR II. Will the 804rc2 head easily support either of these two lenses?