Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:11 am 
Hi all,

I been using my D90 for a bit now and I think I finally figure out a Tripod is what I need next.

I read through some of the review and recommendation here but still want to ask if there any recommendation (maybe some of you have a new tripod :wink: )?

I am looking for something that is light (who isn't?) and hopefully inexpensive so I won't be breaking my bank and my back. But I'll take any recommendation seriously because I don't want to enjoy my last photo taken with this DSLR when it is half way falling down. :twisted:

And I recently saw this tripod on sale for $99 at buy.com (Sunpak PRO 523PX Carbon Fiber Tripod ), there is no ball head with that price tag, but it seems like I can make adjustment without the ball head. Anyone here have experience with this brand?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:51 am 

Hi Isulami,

When I was in search of a tripod a few years back I found the article Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan most useful, though following his advice can seriously damage your wallet in the short term!

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:35 pm 

I have a "cheap" Carbon fiber tripod, but it still cost me quite a bit more than 99 bucks, therefore I have some doubts about the stability of the sunpak.

The manfrotto 0x55B (or something along those lines) seems to be an all-time favorite, expecially when combined with a ballhead (I personally dislike the 3 way heads a lot)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:39 pm 
Manfrotto are always a good bet for a beginner and/or somebody not wanting to spend too much. They are what I use.

If that Thom Hogan article is the one Ive read before, then its really over the top IMHO for anybody not planning on using 500mm lenses.

Post subject: Wow...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:24 am 
Quote:
When I was in search of a tripod a few years back I found the article Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan most useful, though following his advice can seriously damage your wallet in the short term!

Wow =O...

I probably need to refinance something if I follow every word in that article.... but it is something nice to keep in mind in the future.

And I notice Manfrotto brand is a favorite among this board, I guess it might just make sense to save a bit more to invest into a better model than risk something unfamiliar on sale. I did consider Joby Gorilla Tripod, while it is portable and do what it is meant to do, somehow I felt I might regret not getting a full size tripod.

:)