Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: help me pick a tripod!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:07 am 
Sorry, im a bit confused by all this though.... I've read that you want a tripod that is tall enough to be at eye level witout the center column extended.. this makes sense. I looked at all the manfroto ones mainly because I've seen gordon speak so highly of them so it seemed like a good starting point... but even the "larger" 055 models only go to about 4'8" without extending the center column? Im 6'2", so am I missing something here? I realize you don't need to be standing straight up you can bend down a little... but over a foot? Please clarify and feel free to recommend models and heads to me as well.. looking in the ballpark of 300usd to spend... camera is a nikon d90... no heavy lenses as of yet but id like it to be able to hold some large fast zooms, such as a 70-200 2.8

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:04 am 
I just bought a Feisol Carbon Fiber tripod to take to Rome and I could not be more happy with it. I compared it with Manfrotto Carbon Fiber and Gitzo and for the money it is a great tripod.

I got the feisol CT 3402
http://www.feisol.net/feisol-foursectio ... -p-81.html

Along with that I am using the Smith Victor BH2 which is a great head! With this combo I use it to support my D90 with a battery grip and my 70-300. I have not have one problem with creep. The head and legs are more than capable to support the load. For the money, take a look at it. There are some good reviews of the feisol tripod online as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:10 pm 
Can someone address the height concern for me though? How tall should a tripod be versus the height of the user?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:38 pm 

I reckon you should get the tallest you can afford (even though it may be slightly heavier) At 6`2" I'd say get one that's as close to that as poss, maybe 170-180cm. Also don't forget the `head` will add a little height too.

If it seems too tall (depending if you're shooting level....or even towards the ground) you don't HAVE to extend the bottom, thinner sections, fully.

Also if you are going to be shooting up at the moon/stars etc you'll need a tall tripod to save you having to stoop & crick your neck, so imo get the tallest you can. :wink:

I'm only 5`9" & haven't even lifted the centre column on my Giotto, even for moon shots. :lol:

All imho of course, others may have better ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:46 pm 
ok, so i should look for a tripod that will be at eye level without the center column extended, correct? That's what i had initially heard, but wasn't sure if it was accurate information.

If that's the case i'm guessing that i'm looking for a tripod around 170cm tall... i took off about 20cm of my height to account for the fact that eye level and height are different, the camera adds some height before you get to the optical viewfinder, and the head adds some height...

Sound about right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:59 pm 

I reckon yes. (or even slightly more to be sure)