Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:43 pm 
Hi there,

I need some advice about tripods that can be used for both shooting and filming.
Here's the case: I currenty have a Canon 450D with the standard lens and a tele 55-250. Maybe in the future I will buy a 70-200. Furthermore I have a compact camera that I currently use for filming (this could well be replaced by a decent video camera).

I mostly use my gear shooting and filming everything concerning railways.
There a some things to consider;
- the subterranean can be unstable (rocks, sand, (moist) grass, or combination), so I think it's preferable to have 3 legs instead of 4)
- it must not breakdown after some particles of sand or moist grass and must be easy to clean
- vibrations of environment (you definitely feel a 160t steamlocomotive passing by ;-) )
- tripod must be easy and fast to setup and break down
- (mostly) horizontal flawless filming
- suitable for DSLR (450d) photo shooting (with zoom lens)
- suitable for compactcamera filming
- suitable for videocamera filming

The tripod must be very stable even in tough conditions.
Also filming both horizontal and vertical must be very smooth.

But I am just an amateur, so I will definitely will not use it every week. Considering the price it will and must be an accessory !

My local camera store adviced the Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod Black combined with Manfrotto 701HDV Pro Fluid Video Head (have they also read Gordon's review :? :wink: ) At about € 300,00 it's not extremly expensive, but (hey, i'm Dutch :wink:) I preferred a little less money.

Although I still have to 'feel' the 055XPROB (feeling the weight) I think (after reading reviews) this is a fine piece of equipment. Real pro is that it can extend up to about 180 cm (without head).

But what about the 701HDV ? Is it suitable for me or is the whole set way to excessive for me ?

Please help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:18 pm 

I have an older tripod with a fluid panhead, and it is great for video. Pans are truly smooth. However, for photography I find it a very cumbersome head. It takes way too much time to adjust the head, and worst of all, the head tends to tilt with a heavier lens on the camera. Now this may be fixed with newer heads, but it's bothersome nonetheless.

The 055XPROB felt pretty good when I tested it in a store, although it was a bit heavy.

Take a look at the Hama Omega Carbon II and III. Carbon legs, not too heavy, and best of all: the ballhead has a panning section underneath it if memory serves. I was impressed by it's price/performance ratio when I checked both units out. The III also has a detachable monopod, and can go very high, so that's a nice bonus.

Mediamarkt Utrecht used to have them (although they were overpriced).